Eating poop

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Is it common? My little guy does it. I try to monitor closely. Any health concerns with him doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@slowly This is a nasty habit, but not uncommon for some dogs. If he is eating his own poop-that is not as bad-but eating other's poop could give him some serious illnesses. I had a two year old rescue that ate his poop, when he came in the house after going out-(yard is fenced and sometimes they were out without me) I would smell his breath. If it smelled I would say "you ate poop?" and I would get a toothbrush and toothpaste and brush his teeth. Oddly enough, he (liked poop) but hated the toothpaste! After a couple of brushings, he never ate poop again. I would try to find a solution to discourage this. Sometimes it's just a stage they go through, There are things to feed them that is supposed to stop it, but I just brushed his teeth. Of course the bullies prob ably love toothpaste! Seems like they are not too discriminating about what they eat! Also all dogs love cat poop.:bad: Good luck and poop poop dee doop!!!
If you look on the net, there are many solutions to this,some work, some don't! Good luck.:yes:

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
As stated above, yes there are sicknesses, worms ect they can pick up from other dogs poop. A habit you most definitely want to break as soon as possible. Best of luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Dozer did this only once, and it was when he was on Go Natural dogfood, the vet told me it was too rich for him and that it made his poop taste good. I don't know why some dogs do this, but it is a fairly common habit in some dogs, I looked it up before and they called it Coprophagia or PICA. I can't remember what the solutions were, Dozer just stopped doing it after we switched his food. He did it for a very short period of time. I had a Jack Russell who always are Goose poop at the park, and the vet said that it had some minerals in it that were good for dogs, I never broke her of that habit, but it was really gross. She always had a green ring around her mouth after eating it. Ugh.

Dec 11, 2013
Why Do Dogs Eat Poop?
by Dr. Ken Tudor

Veterinarians commonly deal with owner complaints that their dog eats its own or another animal’s feces or poop. Although there is much speculation why dogs indulge in this behavior, we still don’t know exactly why some dogs have this disgusting habit.

Many Animals, and Humans, Eat Feces

Coprophagia (cop-row-fage-ee-uh) is a Greek word meaning feces eating and is used to describe this behavior. We all know of feces eating insects, but many more animals are in this group. Rations on pig farms used to be formulated to account for a certain percentage of coprophagia. Rabbits and hamsters and other cecal or hindgut digesters routinely eat their feces in order to extract more nutrients from their food that may have escaped fermentation the first time.

Elephants, pandas, koalas and hippo young are born with sterile intestines. They eat the feces of their mother in order to seed their intestines with the bacteria needed to aid in the digestion of local vegetation. Female dogs and cats stimulate urination and defecation of their new litters by licking the rectal, vaginal, and penile areas of their young. Dutifully, they eat the feces and drink the urine to avoid contamination of the nesting area.

Gorillas and chimpanzees have been observed eating feces. The behavior is believed to enhance the extraction of nutrients from the tough seeds in their diet. Coprophagia has also been reported in some human patients with schizophrenia, depression, or pica (eating non-food items).

The Medicinal Use of Feces

Clostridium difficile of C. diff infections in humans are reported to top 3 million per year and account for approximately 110,000 deaths annually in the U.S. Early treatment of the condition is fecal transplantation. Patient are fed their own “banked” feces, or that of a close relative, through a feeding tube, or purified bacteria from the same fecal sources, which are put in gelatin capsules. The “good bacteria” from the feces crowds out the C. diff in the intestines and results in a quicker treatment response. Fecal enemas have proven to have the same beneficial effect.

Prebiotic, or “good bacteria,” are also used in veterinary medicine to aid in the treatment of diarrhea in dogs and cats. The leading veterinary brand of prebiotic lists its first active ingredient as “ingesta.” Ingesta are intestinal contents, more commonly known as poop.

What are the Reasons for Coprophagia in Dogs?

The most common reason cited for dog coprophagia is nutritional deficiency. The lack of iron, or other minerals or vitamins lead the list. But there are no studies to confirm nutritional deficiencies as a cause for coprophagia.

Hunger or near starvation is also suggested as a reason for coprophagia. This view is enhanced by the observation of emaciated wild dogs and canids eating feces. Again, there are no studies to substantiate that hungry dogs are more likely to eat feces than well fed dogs.

Others suggest that like the animals that eat feces for specific nutritional needs, as mentioned above, healthy dogs benefit in the same way. One could argue that they are replenishing their “good gut bacteria” this way. If this were true, then all or most dogs would eat feces. In fact poop eaters are in the minority in veterinary practice. Although fresh feces might contain food residue and beneficial bacteria, old, dried out feces lacks these benefits.

Coprophagia Should Be Discouraged

Your dog’s coprophagia could pose a threat to human household members. Dogs can harbor bacteria like Salmonella, E. coli and infectious parasites in their gut without any signs of illness. These organisms can easily be spread to household members that allow their dogs to kiss their faces and lips. Remember a dog’s tongue is its toilet paper!

The addition of MSG (monosodium glutamate) or MSG containing products (meat tenderizers) to the diet of the animal whose feces is being eaten often helps discourage coprophagia. In multi-pet households, it is probably easier to add MSG to everyone’s diet. Cats may not readily eat MSG-laced food, so if your dog eats cat poop, you may have to be more strategic with the litter box.

Your veterinarian can help you with the proper dose of MSG.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] went through this, maybe she can help!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We went through it will one of our dogs--but only when she pooped in the house. I think she was trying to hide evidence. We really had to keep an eye on her.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Bella does it once in a while but its only at night if she has an accident (not often) its so nasty i cant stand it but i swear she trying to hide the evidence because she doesnt do it any other time :bad:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
@<u><a href="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=2014" target="_blank">JeannieCO</a></u> went through this, maybe she can help!

Oh how I feel your pain. Wilson is my :poo: eater and has been from nearly the day we brought him home at 8 weeks old, he'll be 4 in Jan. He never ate his own though, only my dog Ace's, who has since passed. I tried every suggestion under the sun that was recommended (pills, cayanne pepper, hot sauce (yes I followed the poops and sprinkled it on each, lol), salt, you name it! When Ace passed he quit eating poop for the most part. He did I guess enjoy a nice tasty snack on occasion of Jack's poop. :barf: I had my suspicions it was the grain in the food that he like of Ace's and that's been confirmed on my end again as he likes to have a snack of Sally's poop (and so does she now) since I put her on a grain Senior food (she's being transitioned off that now though). Sally is my senior rescue and she will occasionally have a snack too but I think that's due to the 8-10 litters she was made to have in her years.

I really have no suggestions for you, I wish I did, but that what seems NASTY to us is nothing more than a nice Tasty Scooby Snack to them. Oh Wilson prefers his poop hot and steamy and he especially loves them where they're it's snowed at there at table level for him. :ROFL:

My own experiment when Wilson was only 9 months. Taken on 12/24/11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jAFF9oU2U

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh how I feel your pain. Wilson is my :poo: eater and has been from nearly the day we brought him home at 8 weeks old, he'll be 4 in Jan. He never ate his own though, only my dog Ace's, who has since passed. I tried every suggestion under the sun that was recommended (pills, cayanne pepper, hot sauce (yes I followed the poops and sprinkled it on each, lol), salt, you name it! When Ace passed he quit eating poop for the most part. He did I guess enjoy a nice tasty snack on occasion of Jack's poop. :barf: I had my suspicions it was the grain in the food that he like of Ace's and that's been confirmed on my end again as he likes to have a snack of Sally's poop (and so does she now) since I put her on a grain Senior food (she's being transitioned off that now though). Sally is my senior rescue and she will occasionally have a snack too but I think that's due to the 8-10 litters she was made to have in her years.

I really have no suggestions for you, I wish I did, but that what seems NASTY to us is nothing more than a nice Tasty Scooby Snack to them. Oh Wilson prefers his poop hot and steamy and he especially loves them where they're it's snowed at there at table level for him. :ROFL:

My own experiment when Wilson was only 9 months. Taken on 12/24/11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jAFF9oU2U

That video still cracks me up!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great instructional video :bad:Good thing I don't eat breakfast...............:yes: :whistle: Errr..maybe it should be called a taste test instead?

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball ball eats rabbit poo outback like its friggin filet mignon or lobster!! Drives me nuts. Be careful as Meatball got gardia(spelling) from his love of the poo cuisine. There is no way to stop him, I now have to clean up rabbit poo too lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online