Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I have no experience but am sending prayers that Rocco has a quick and full recovery

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor baby... sending lots of hugs and prayers. I'll tag a few members that I think had experience

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Too much experience here. I had it three times within two years and had the same little bully go through it twice. My own experience was what saved Dulce's life the first time she had it. She was just not right that morning and she vomited. She did it four more times in the time it took me to get dressed so we wrapped her up and loaded her in the car for the vet. She started turning blue as i explained to the tech and doc what was going on and they hooked her to oxygen. They did chest X-ray. The xray confirmed what I already knew. Lots of meds, steaming the bathroom and coupage. You might ask about the use of Guafenisin (Mucinex). Any respiratory condition is serious. Best wishes for your baby.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I wish I was more help but Harlea only had an upper respiratory infection that we caught before it turned in to pneumonia. I don't mean to sound harsh or mean, but from what I understand that if it is pneumonia it needs to be treated by a vet right away as it can be life threatening because bullies already have compromised breathing and this could cause them to go downhill fast.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no! Poor Rocco! How is he doing? About 15 years ago our new pup had it and we had to take her every day for sub q fluids, I cannot remember what else they gave or did to her, I do remember trying to get her to eat canned food because she wasn't eating. I'd scoop it with my finger and she would lick it off.

Did he have to stay in the vet hospital? How did you find out?

Since that happened to us so many years ago now I know you can help with hot steam bathrooms by turning the hot water on in the shower and closing the doors, but stay in there and once you're uncomfortable it's time to open the door for fresh air.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh no! Poor Rocco! How is he doing? About 15 years ago our new pup had it and we had to take her every day for sub q fluids, I cannot remember what else they gave or did to her, I do remember trying to get her to eat canned food because she wasn't eating. I'd scoop it with my finger and she would lick it off.

Did he have to stay in the vet hospital? How did you find out?

Since that happened to us so many years ago now I know you can help with hot steam bathrooms by turning the hot water on in the shower and closing the doors, but stay in there and once you're uncomfortable it's time to open the door for fresh air.

:goodpost: I have not dealt w/this, but I know from reading about others that you need to stay on top of this since bullies have compromised breathing issues.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Is this aspiration/pneumonia or just pneumonia? Depending on the cause, the treatment can vary. Meaning, if he aspirated and that's what caused it, you need to be careful how you feed him. He's probably also on various anti-reflux and vomiting meds along with the antibiotics. It's also NOT contagious but they need to find out what caused it, like elongated palate, or a hernia and fix the condition.

If it's progressed due to a respiratory infection, then antibiotics, rest, and vapor are generally enough. Just keep him away from other dogs since this form is contagious.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great advice from all.. I can not expand on this-but I can send more prayers for Rocco. :pray:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Same here, I don't have any personal experience with pneumonia, but you have been given great advice from everyone.
I hope Rocco is okay, and the medications clear it up. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
No experience but praying for Rocco, fingers and paws crossed that he's feeling much better soon

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hoping for a speedy recovery, and sending good thoughts his way.

OP
beckylu00

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
Thank u all. Rocco is on med.i took him right away and thats how we found out. Hes doing a better.his breathing sounds so much better.we have another dr appt. This coming Wednesday

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank u all. Rocco is on med.i took him right away and thats how we found out. Hes doing a better.his breathing sounds so much better.we have another dr appt. This coming Wednesday

Hoping for a speedy recovery.... keep us posted

Most Reactions