So irritated with my vet.

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Last Wednesday, right before Thanksgiving, I noticed a spot right below Millie's collar that was losing hair. I at first chalked it up to matter fur, but I looked closer and noticed it looked red and infected. Made a call to our vet, who was able to get us in that day.

The vet said that Millie had Demodex mange, which was basically a concentration of mites, apparently all dogs have them, but since she's only 6 mos, her immune system isn't able to fight them off as easily. She prescribed antibiotics to treat the infection, a medicated shampoo that we needed to use twice a week, fish oils, and also ordered a preventic collar that would be in the following Monday.

I mentioned that I was concerned about the amount of chemicals we were throwing at her all at once. I was ok with the fish oils and antibiotics, but both the shampoo and collar seemed like overkill to me. I'm not someone who has to have all natural stuff, but I was just worried. The vet said that she wanted to attack this thing right away. 350 dollars later, we were out the door.

We used the shampoo that night and last Sunday, along with the daily dose of antibiotics and fish oils. Millie had NO reaction or nausea, and the spot looked white and normal again, and even started to grow fur back, which was promising. The vet called this past Wednesday to have me pick up the collar, another 40 bucks. Oh well. I put he collar on her yesterday morning, since she just got a bath the night before.

This morning, I let Millie out and noticed that she peed in her crate, which she NEVER does. I also noticed that the spot on her skin was BRIGHT RED. She didn't seem to be bothered, but after googling the collar quick, I ripped that sucker off pretty quick.

Needless to say, I'm pretty irritated, and I'm going to be calling the vet here quickly. I know that the vet knows more than I do, but didn't really address my initial concern and I feel like I'm right. She's going to want to bring Millie in again to look at her, and I will not be paying for that visit. I even did a search on here and someone else mentioned that their bully had a bladder control issue with that collar as well. There's two vets where I go, and it seems that the one that we usually see (who's name is on the practice) is down to earth, listens to us, and doesn't charge me for every little thing. This vet that we had to deal with always nickel and dimes us, doesn't listen to our concerns, and overreacts with every issue. The last time we saw this vet, she mentioned that Millie biting when she was three months was a serious concern. Lady, she's a puppy, that's what they do.

Sorry for the crazy long post, just venting more than anything. Am I right in not wanting to pay for another vet visit and being concerned with the amount of chemicals my poop pup is taking in?

Cliffs: dog had mites, got too many chemicals and now has a reaction, I'm mad.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't ever be sorry for long posts, we all learn from them. I wouldn't take her back to that vet and I do think you are right about the collar. I didn't even know doctors were prescribing them anymore. You did right by taking it off of her and hope that spot heals up completely now. Poor baby, I would feel the same as you.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Try
Hydrogen Peroxide, 20 Mule Borax, Water (Do not rinse off, needs to be left to dry on the skin)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I understand your concern and I hate when you can't see your regular vet and they go overboard. The antibiotics and shampoo is pretty normal for the mites, but I have never heard of them giving the collar before. You can also give a spoonful of plain yogurt everyday too to help. Hope your baby gets getter soon.

OP
A

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Thanks guys! I just talked to the vet and said that I'll be throwing that collar away, since she was healing just fine without it. She has a checkup visit already scheduled on the 17th, so I'll be requesting we see our regular vet.

I actually have been wanting to give Millie some yogurt! Our regular vet said that probiotics could be beneficial in helping Millie's tear stains. I'll probably put some in her kong and freeze it.

Here's a pic of her from a few days ago...by her mood, you'd never tell that she had a skin infection. Ornery as ever!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417796776.200936.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:stinkeye: I'd be upset too! What we have done is, always make our appointments with the same vet and in emergencies, we ask for him to be consulted. Our practive has 6 vets on staff and there are 4 I love and 2 I do not care for

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks guys! I just talked to the vet and said that I'll be throwing that collar away, since she was healing just fine without it. She has a checkup visit already scheduled on the 17th, so I'll be requesting we see our regular vet.

I actually have been wanting to give Millie some yogurt! Our regular vet said that probiotics could be beneficial in helping Millie's tear stains. I'll probably put some in her kong and freeze it.

Here's a pic of her from a few days ago...by her mood, you'd never tell that she had a skin infection. Ornery as ever!

View attachment 81380

She is adorable! Be sure to get plain greek yogurt and if you freeze it in the Kong... warning -- behold the mess that will come from it as it melts. i did it once and had yogart all over the floors as it dripped out of one end :facepalm:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Since she's a pup and it's only local I wouldn't be so worried. I have heard two different kind of approaches to this with a pup....buy all the expensive medicine and it takes about 6 months until they take affect....let it be and it will clear away in about six months...of course if it's spredding you will have to medicate, but only for a few spots...I'd just keep on eye on them and keep them clean.

OP
A

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thank you for the heads up! We just got new carpet and that totally just saved me a huge headache [emoji4]. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I did read that it usually clears up on its own, and I'm pretty sure it is local. There's only one other spot on her leg, and it's pretty much gone. Our issue is that we had to delay her Dec 11th spaying because they want any infections to be cleared up before they do, which I understand. I'm just frustrated with how it was all handled.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My dog had demodex and it had spread… quickly!!! We did the dips, and I'm happy to say that it seems to have worked on him, his hair is growing back. I won't use those collars either, so many pets are having side effects w/those things. I hope your baby feels better soon!!!

OP
A

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Here's the picture my wife just sent me. Her skin was white and healthy before the collar.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417803754.387343.jpg

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I can understand your irritation, I was advised to buy a tick and flea collar for my bulldogs after one of them had a reaction to something. The vet wasn't even sure it was a reaction to tick or flea bite but she still pushed me to buy it even though I said I'm not very interested in collars as my bulldogs play with each other a lot and I was concerned it would harm them. Anyway, bought them to please her and only after having had it on one of my girls for about an hour she started to leak pee all over the place:fie: Took it off and gave her a bath and it stopped... From now on I'll listen to my gut feeling regarding things like this.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Poor baby, hope she gets better soon. I hate using so many chemicals on any of our kids. I hate vets like that. I used to go to a vet my father-in-law recommended & at first I liked it, but over the years I've noticed it's just a revolving door. I especially don't like the owner. I believe he killed one of our cats. So, I finally switched. She's pricy but is 3 minutes away from me. All of the vets & receptionists have been there for 20+years. Good luck! She's such a cutie!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online