Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Why NYC’s most popular dog breed is also its most abandoned

By Joanna PriscoNovember 30, 2014

With their squishy jowls and gentle disposition, English bulldogs unseated Labradors as the Big Apple’s most popular breed in 2013, according to rankings released by the American Kennel Club (AKC) back in February — but nearly 300 of the chubby canines were surrendered to shelters in the city that same year.

The breed is a tragic victim of its success. Bulldogs have grown by leaps and bounds in popularity thanks to their family-friendly attitude, but they’re also difficult to care for — stubborn and beset by health problems — and new owners often don’t realize the challenges until they’ve already brought a cuddly pup home.

“[The English bulldog’s] year-over-year increase in popularity fuels the year-over-year increase in the number of dogs we rescue,” says Laurette Richin, executive director for Long Island Bulldog Rescue (LIBR). “In 1999, we rescued 13 dogs. In 2013, we rescued 347.”

Since certified AKC breeders can’t keep up with the demand for healthy puppies, many of the purebreds living in the five boroughs come from illegal puppy mills and overseas breeders who haven’t taken proper care of their charges — resulting in health problems that novice owners are unprepared to treat properly.

“The most common issues we see are skin, ear and eye infections, and elongated soft palates — when there’s a chunk of skin in the back of the throat obstructing the airway,” says Richin. “We’re also seeing more bladder stones and seizure disorders.”

Astoria resident Julia Maria Conway, who rescued her second bulldog, Lucille, from a Tennessee puppy mill, is all too familiar with these medical woes.

“Many bulldogs have allergies. You have to wash their folds and clean their ears on a regular basis. Interdigital cysts are common; they can have digestive issues, and bad breeding causes spina bifida,” says the 38-year-old.

As a member of the Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals, LIBR receives an alert every time an English bulldog comes through Animal Care & Control, though Richin says that most are surrendered to them directly from owners. LIBR is then left to foot the bill for their medical costs, which can easily amount to $900 a year.

To cover expenses, LIBR throws an annual fund-raiser, Beth Stern’s Bash for the Bulldogs. At the event, hosted by Mrs. Howard Stern, dog lovers can rub elbows with like-minded celebs such as Ice-T and his wife Coco, while bidding on auction items.

Last year, the soiree raked in $70,000 for LIBR and its lovable pups.
The money also helps LIBR ensure that its rescues go to homes willing to put in the necessary time, money and energy to make these animals a member of the family. According to Richin, 98 percent of their adoptions stick.

As Conway can attest, the troubles that go into owning a bulldog pay off in dividends. “If you want a dog who listens to your commands and is easily trainable, this breed is not for you . . . But overall, my Lucy is so lovable and sweet, it’s all worth it in the end.”
Beth Stern’s 15th Anniversary Bash for the Bulldogs will take place Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Rosenthal Pavilion at NYU, 60 Washington Square S. Tickets start at $150.

FILED UNDER DOGS, ENGLISH BULLDOGS
SHARE THIS:

FacebookTwitterGoogleEmail

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
wow. 347 for that rescue alone. Unbelievable!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wow, no idea the numbers of abandoned bullies are so high, tragic!

Thank you, Monica, this is a must read for all, especially newbies
thinking about owning a bulldog.

love you <3

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Love you too, carol, I was surprised too at how many bullies are abandoned, and that's only at one rescue. Very sad.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Unbelievable. Thanks for sharing.

While out shopping....our routine trip to Petsmart....people stop and sometimes say that they will be getting a bulldog. I too, mention allergies, breathing issues, as well as the daily high-maintenance routine, and stubborn disposition of the breed. After some show and tell on Jewel and Bentley, people get an understanding and may think twice if the breed is right for them. One gal said she would take the bulldog on her daily jog. I laughed and I told her about how bullies can succumb to heat stroke...not to mention...I walk the bully as far as I want to carry 'em. I told her to get a Labrador if she wanted a running partner.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] The reason the number's so high is because there are no other Bulldog rescues aside from LIBR and BUMPER in the northeast, so their rescues come from all over, not just NYC.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I read this yesterday and was going to post it. I'm glad you did. it's just so sad.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
So sad. Those poor babies. I wish people would educate themselves thoroughly before getting a bulldog. I advise everyone who tells me they want one to come here and research, research, research. I also offer to let them spend some time with Bocephus and his stinky butt haha

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.