EBSHIBA31

Dec 3, 2014
Los Angeles, California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BOWSER
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am getting a 9 week old EB on 12/10 next week! I'm super excited about getting him and look forward to the "experiences" you all talk about on here (snoring, farting and shark phase especially lol).

Anyway, I currently have a 5 year old male shiba inu and was wondering what your thoughts were with having two males and if i have to worry about the EB trying to be dominant? the Shiba previously lived with my gf's parents who have a male Puggle and they get along GREAT and the puggle is a year old. the shiba is extremely friendly, playful and gets along with everyone.

My main question is do you guys have any tips for bringing this puppy into our place with the shiba and if there were things i should avoid to keep the EB from (trying to) becoming the alpha.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am getting a 9 week old EB on 12/10 next week! I'm super excited about getting him and look forward to the "experiences" you all talk about on here (snoring, farting and shark phase especially lol).

Anyway, I currently have a 5 year old male shiba inu and was wondering what your thoughts were with having two males and if i have to worry about the EB trying to be dominant? the Shiba previously lived with my gf's parents who have a male Puggle and they get along GREAT and the puggle is a year old. the shiba is extremely friendly, playful and gets along with everyone.

My main question is do you guys have any tips for bringing this puppy into our place with the shiba and if there were things i should avoid to keep the EB from (trying to) becoming the alpha.

Welcome to EBN.

Animal aggression. The Shiba Inu was bred to hunt other animals. Many Shiba Inus are dominant or aggressive toward other dogs of the same sex. Many have strong instincts to chase and seize small fleeing creatures. This can make for conflict if you own a cat. It may be much worse than that if you own a pet rabbit or hamster!

In this regard, I would not leave the two alone or out of sight. Hopefully, you will not have any problems.

OP
EBSHIBA31

EBSHIBA31

Dec 3, 2014
Los Angeles, California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BOWSER
Welcome to EBN.

Animal aggression. The Shiba Inu was bred to hunt other animals. Many Shiba Inus are dominant or aggressive toward other dogs of the same sex. Many have strong instincts to chase and seize small fleeing creatures. This can make for conflict if you own a cat. It may be much worse than that if you own a pet rabbit or hamster!

In this regard, I would not leave the two alone or out of sight. Hopefully, you will not have any problems.

No disrespect but I know the Shiba Inu breed VERY well and I know my dog even better. As stated in my original post, my shiba is extremely friendly and gets along with other dogs. He is the furthest thing from aggressive.

I'm asking for advice to prevent the EB from trying to be aggressive toward the shiba/myself.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We have two unaltered males that get along great. They're both EB's. One we had since he was 8 weeks old, the other was re-homed to us 3 months ago. They're both still kinda young. Blue is going to be 2 tomorrow, and Wellie (our new baby) just turned 16 months old.
Both "try" to be alpha but neither succeeds.
But, they're also very laid back, not one aggressive bone in their bodies so we haven't had any issues.

If your Shiba is very laid back and doesn't try to play alpha, he should be ok with the puppy. If you can, introduce them on neutral ground. Have them interact with each other for a bit before bringing the puppy home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Congrats on you new addition! :welcome3: to EBN

Agree with Ellie... as long as your shiba accepts the puppy it should be good, but make sure they both know you are the alpha, if that is already established you should be able to easily integrate your puppy. As for the bulldog trying to be the alpha, it depends on his personality. I had an incredibly laid back male and a very dominate female and because she came after him she never accepted him and we had to always keep her in training with us, she worked for everything and knew her place, but it did not mean she didn't try to pushes us off the top.

You may know this, but if not.... use the nothing in life is free training technique. it is very easy and will help both dogs know you are the boss....

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

OP
EBSHIBA31

EBSHIBA31

Dec 3, 2014
Los Angeles, California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BOWSER
Congrats on you new addition! :welcome3: to EBN

Agree with Ellie... as long as your shiba accepts the puppy it should be good, but make sure they both know you are the alpha, if that is already established you should be able to easily integrate your puppy. As for the bulldog trying to be the alpha, it depends on his personality. I had an incredibly laid back male and a very dominate female and because she came after him she never accepted him and we had to always keep her in training with us, she worked for everything and knew her place, but it did not mean she didn't try to pushes us off the top.

You may know this, but if not.... use the nothing in life is free training technique. it is very easy and will help both dogs know you are the boss....

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

Thanks Blueberry'sMom & 2BullyMama.

the "nothing in life is free" method is what we currently do with our shiba. he will play fetch nonstop and everytime he brings the ball back, i'll make him sit or shake. Same with when I give him treats. As far as scratching/petting goes, we usually do that when he sits/lays with us which is not that often since he hates submitting.

Another of my concerns is that our Shiba was previously living with my gf and her parents along with their 1 year old Puggle who is....well let's say a bit dopey. It could be that our shiba is very smart but the puggle is pretty skiddish, and NEVER listens to anyone. It doesn't help that her parents spoil him beyond belief and don't train him at all (chewed up their couch, chair and other furniture) but I'm just trying to prevent our new addition from being like that. I could be over-paranoid but i see some similarities in the Puggle with what I've read here on the EB breed.

Thanks for the help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Blueberry'sMom & 2BullyMama.

the "nothing in life is free" method is what we currently do with our shiba. he will play fetch nonstop and everytime he brings the ball back, i'll make him sit or shake. Same with when I give him treats. As far as scratching/petting goes, we usually do that when he sits/lays with us which is not that often since he hates submitting.

Another of my concerns is that our Shiba was previously living with my gf and her parents along with their 1 year old Puggle who is....well let's say a bit dopey. It could be that our shiba is very smart but the puggle is pretty skiddish, and NEVER listens to anyone. It doesn't help that her parents spoil him beyond belief and don't train him at all (chewed up their couch, chair and other furniture) but I'm just trying to prevent our new addition from being like that. I could be over-paranoid but i see some similarities in the Puggle with what I've read here on the EB breed.

Thanks for the help!

The puggle is an issue for what your stated.... no training and spoiled. We all spoil, but you have to find the balance --- I think you are going to be fine

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.