Another question

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
What age to girl pups roughly come in season? I've never had a female dog before do all this is new to me, is it best to get them spayed or not? As I know bully's can have a heard time under anaesthetic, my girls 6month now and I realise this is something I need to be thinking about

Donna...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I thin it is roughly around 6 months for the first one..... @daivdh [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] ?

Tyler

Oct 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
as far as i know a female bulldogs first heat is generally around 8-10 months. it varies with each bulldog, my girls first heat came at 8 months and she is just finishing her heat cycle now, thank god. If you are not breeding her then you may as well get her spayed, you will never have to deal with heat cycle again. They are not an enjoyable 3 weeks.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most females come in heat around 8-10 months, as [MENTION=13078]Tyler[/MENTION] has stated. I have heard of some as early as 6 months. I had mine spayed at one year, and they hadn't come in heat yet-I just got lucky.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi agree with everyone above, females can go into heat anywhere from 6 to 8 months, each bully is different. I had Blossom spayed when she was 7 months, and she hadn't had a cycle yet. If you aren't planning on breeding her, then it is better to have her spayed, you avoid having to deal with her cycles and bleeding, and going into heat which can be uncomfortable for them, plus you lessen the chances of certain cancers such as cancer of the mammary glands, and the uterus.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hi agree with everyone above, females can go into heat anywhere from 6 to 8 months, each bully is different. I had Blossom spayed when she was 7 months, and she hadn't had a cycle yet. If you aren't planning on breeding her, then it is better to have her spayed, you avoid having to deal with her cycles and bleeding, and going into heat which can be uncomfortable for them, plus you lessen the chances of certain cancers such as cancer of the mammary glands, and the uterus.
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], I didn't know that about the cancers Thankyou for the information now I know that I will be defiantly getting her done as were not breeding off her [emoji3]

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks everyone, [MENTION=13078]Tyler[/MENTION] I didn't realise they bleed for 3 weeks I thought it was roughly around two weeks, I can imagine that to be a very long three weeks

Tyler

Oct 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
They don't bleed for 3 weeks straight. i can't remember the proper name of the event during the cycle but they go through a time without spotting which generally lasts anywhere from a couple days to a week. Roxy lasted for 4 days and started spotting again. This is her first heat so from what i understand the spotting is heavier then what it will be in the later heats but for quite a while i had to have her diaper on at all times unless it was to go outside to pee/poo. Oh and if you don't spay your dog before her first heat don't be surprised if her vulva gets to a fairly good size. Roxy's vulva got massive and scared the crap out of me because i thought something was wrong at first, thankfully my breeder calmed me down and said it was normal haha. and be prepared for a lethargic and sometimes cranky girl as well.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Glad you mention that about her vulva I would of been packing her off to the vets thinking something was wrong we've always had male dogs so all this with a female pup is all new to us, did roxy keep her diaper on? We was thinking about getting something along them lines for Ruby

Tyler

Oct 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
glad i saved you some money from the vet. what i did for Roxy was purchase a pack of maxi pads at a store and then i got cloth reusable/washable diapers from the pet store and stuck the maxi pad inside the diaper. It has worked really well that way. and i'll check her diaper every time we went outside so she could pee/poo and sometimes after she had a long nap and i would replace the maxi pad as necessary.

benny316

Sep 9, 2014
Usually anytime from 6 months to a year some dogs will go In to season every 4 months or in most cases every six months. I have a 3yr old she goes in every six months also have a 10 month old who has just gone into her first heat. Lucky that I have wooden floors as I don't put pads or nappies on them

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.