Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hi, does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of tear staining? W

What's the best thing to clean her folds with

Ps, hope everyone in the States had a lovely thanks giving ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417344495.847983.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i use witch hazel on a cotton pad or unscented baby wipes....

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank you, I have been using tepid water on a cotton pad but just can't seem to remove the stains

Donna...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
On stubborn stains I use malacetic otic ultra or panalog ointment, they hate the malacetic otic ultra but it works really well. Douxo pads are also very popular and work well. But for daily cleaning I also just use the witch hazel, I only use the other products if they get bad.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks her's are quite stubborn, would I be able to pick up the ointment at a pet store? With the witch hazel is it just normal over the counter which hazel? Would it need diluting abit or do you just use it straight out the bottle? Sorry for all the question just won't to get it right with it being her face

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I order the malacetic otic ultra and Douxo pads online, panalog ointment is a prescription from your vet. Witch hazel is just the stuff you get at any store, no diluting. Don't worry about asking questions, happy to help :)

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank-you I have some witch hazel in so will give that a try first, which site do you order the malacetic optic and Douxo pads from? I love this site it's great to be able to ask other bully owners [emoji3]

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
I stared using Vaseline ( only used it for week or two ) and his stains cleared up beautifully , now I use baby wipes and sometimes something like duoxo and I have no problems anymore :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Did you just wipe over her tears with Vaseline [MENTION=9965]Enjnene[/MENTION]

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Yes I wiped his stains as usual then put on the Vaseline in his wrinkles and did this all over again the next day and the next and so on and I could see a difference almost immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
I used to use baby wipes but it didn't work, I have just started a few days ago using an antibacterial dog shampoo ( I had some spare from when she had mild ringworm ) I put some on a cotton ball and clean it once a day then dry it off with a clean cotton ball, u can see all the reddish brown stain on the cotton, I have never seen it come off with baby wipes, it looks to me like it's clearing up and her face doesn't seem as moist while I have been doing this, don't know if it will remove them completely but a few days in it is looking so much better and cleaner, hope that helps

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
My vet said the vaseline helps with the scalding from constant moisture too.I use witch hazel on a more daily basis but would love to try some of the above for tough stains

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Also remember, what your dog eats/drinks will cause tear stains. I find Curly's tear stains are less on Filter water and even better on Spring water than tap water. I also feed him grain free and I've noticed that when he does eat grains he gets a bit more red around the eyes.

Beside that I only use baby wipes and destinin baby rash medicine. I wipe with baby wipes and then use some Destinin afterwards. After about 2 or 3 days the irritation of his skin is much less and the fur isn't wet red any more. When he isn't irritated I only use the Destinin everyother day or every 3 days - he really doesn't like the smell so I just use baby wipes for the most part.

Do keep in mind it will take about a month for anything to really work - there isn't really an over night cure.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank-you everyone all your tips are greatly appreciated

Most Reactions