Bully Timeouts

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
So who has to put there bully in time out, how long do you do it, and what warrants the time out?

I am inspired this morning due to the fact Bear is punished for bulldogging :angry: and I am interested on what others do as far as time frame and when is your cracking point?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles gets put in time out for excessive barking. He is our first Bulldog that has been an annoying barker. We leave him in time out until he has been quiet for about 10 minutes. He is 4 now and has quieted down a bunch!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
We use time-outs with our bullies! Layla is a "bully" and plays very rough. Winston is spoiled and thinks the world revolves around him and takes things from the others. Between the two of them , they "fight" atleast once a day. Just like kids...its starts with playing and gets to rough. All I have to say it "TIME-OUT!!" and they will go lay on their bed or go to their crate. I tell them to stay and "ignore" them for a few minutes. 3-5 mins feels like forever to them.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
We use time out for different reasons excessive barking, jumping up on people, or begging for food. She always gets a warning but then after that she goes to timeout. We shut the door, turn on the light (of course, she doesnt like the dark), tell her to sit and NO "whatever bad behaviour she did", she stays less then 5 minutes and then has to sit and tell her no again to whatever bad behaviour she did and then out she comes. It mostly works because she wants to stay with us! Consistency is key!!

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i am working on this as well. Bullet plays sooooo rough sometimes with my chocolate lab! you should see how he bites and pulls at his ears and loose skin around his neck to a point where it starts to hurt my lab or runs full speed and chest butts him in the side! :eek: my lab is tolerant but i am not! i tell him no, be nice, bad boy and if he continues i scoot (yes, guiding his rump) him into the laundry room where i have a slatted louvered door that i shut to keep him in there. i also wait 3-5 min and let him out and as i open the door i stop him and get down to his level and tell him "be nice". i keep consistant and he is somewhat changing. it's hard to punish him just like it is to do so with my children. ugh. lol

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I make mine put their nose in a corner.
When O is really bad, she gets put on her back..then in her kennel. Usually until she is quiet...and her breathing is back to normal

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
My girls play WAY too rough and when they do, they go to their crates. No 3-5 minutes, because they're sleeping in a minute.

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Sometimes Winston get's the Devil in him and starts to run around the house, jumping on furniture, and nipping/biting at my wife and I. When he starts to get this way I put him in Time Out to calm down. He usually just goes to sleep.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Belly gets time out quite a bit. She bites a lot! She doesn't stop..she'll run from me to hubby and then over to our Boston and does her darnedest to inflict damage...she will go in her puppy corral until she settles down.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Ahh, I'm a big pushover. I never put my bullies in time out. There is just no need in Linus' case and Truman already doesn't love being crated so I try not to ever use it as a form of punishment.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Same with me, I can't recall a time when Stiggy needed to be put on time out. We do try to be persistent in stopping him whenever he does something wrong by saying 'no' or in my case making the 'psst' sound.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
tried it with Chester once.. but as you may remember, when I pointed my finger at him to scold him, he "high fived" me :luv:

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola used to get time outs in her crate until she calmed down, but I started using the coins in a can thing and as soon as she see's that can come out she goes from devil to angel in a snap! The can is amazing! :heart:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
i am working on this as well. Bullet plays sooooo rough sometimes with my chocolate lab! you should see how he bites and pulls at his ears and loose skin around his neck to a point where it starts to hurt my lab or runs full speed and chest butts him in the side! :eek: my lab is tolerant but i am not! i tell him no, be nice, bad boy and if he continues i scoot (yes, guiding his rump) him into the laundry room where i have a slatted louvered door that i shut to keep him in there. i also wait 3-5 min and let him out and as i open the door i stop him and get down to his level and tell him "be nice". i keep consistant and he is somewhat changing. it's hard to punish him just like it is to do so with my children. ugh. lol

[MENTION=1717]Momma2Bullet[/MENTION] i have the same problem with our lab and bullie!!! except the lab (bo) is the one that gets to rough and will pull on lex's loose skin. lex will run behind bo and bite his back leg from behind or grab his tail and start pulling lol.. its funny at times but theres a point that i have to say no!!

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
we put our bullies in time out when they start playing too rough w each other...and the exact thing happens we put them in their crates and in 5 mintues they are asleep...the funny thing is when spike sees the broom & the mop he automatically goes to his crate bc he knows its time for mommy to clean lol...its hillarious...sparkles on the other side LOVES to go to her brother's crate and poop in it so we tell her no poopie in spike's crate and then put her in her crate for 5 mins....the wierd thing is we take her out she walks around for like 5 mins doesnt go and then comes inside and poops in spike's crate... :[ she does this all the time. she is a brat.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.