My Bentley scarfs down his food

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
My Bentley is 14 weeks old on Monday. My vet told me to feed him a total of 1 cup of food per day. I feed him 3 times per day. I'm currently feeding him Blue Buffalo Lamb and Oatmeal. He scarfs down his food so fast, I'm wondering if he is getting enough. Any ideas. I do have 2 older dogs (a lab and German Short-haired Pointer) and they free feed. He does try to eat there food as well, but I watch him with that. Is this normal??

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I am no vet-but sometimes I have to play one on the farm.. One cup a day does not sound like enough for a pup to me. If he eats too fast, you can get him a slow feed bowl. My bullies are always hungry. I would worry, for sure if they weren't.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bullies are always hungry and would eat till they popped, so I would never free feed one especially a pup. That being said, I would feed him a little more. You can tell when you are feeding too much, because their poop will get soft. hen that happens, just cut the amount a little and that's the amount to feed. As they get bigger, you need to increase the amount. Do this until they get around 7 months of age, then you can go to twice a day feedings, and decrease the amount a little, just so they will not gain too much weight. I like to feed my pups plenty of food while they are growing. An adult bully should be a little lean, have a little waist and you should be a able to feel their ribs with firm pressure along their sides.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above posts, one cup for a 14 week old does not sound like enough, my pups are usually eating about twice that much at that age.

Bentleysmom01

Nov 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Captain Bentley
Our bully Bentley is 12 weeks....we feed him Taste of the wild....we were feeding him a cup a day spread over two times (morning and night). We follow what the bag says....he is just over 10lbs so we bumped him up to two cups total a day because he was acting crazy hungry. He seems to be quite content with two cups a day now[emoji4]

sent from my sexy Note 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417353394826.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417353394826.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 130

DennisD

Sep 10, 2014
Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Mae
Our English is a former puppy mill mama who also scarfed down her food at first. We got her a dish with a raised center whicH required her to slow down and eat around it. After 6 months we went back to a normal dish raised about 4 inches. She now does much better. I believe the dish is called an anti bloat dish. Dogs can get too much air and then bloat when eating too fast. Bloat can be deadly.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.