Bringing home male puppy with current adult neutered male..

Lyn2216

Nov 28, 2014
Country
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Just wondering if anyone has brought home a male puppy into a home with a neutered male eb? I know there is the potential for issues. Our current eb isn't dog aggressive. He tries to be the official greeter at the vet clinic. lol. We also have a female mastiff that will not allow another female in the house. So we picked a laid back male puppy. I've emailed pretty much every breeder I could find to ask. All but one said it should be fine as long as both males are neutered.

What do you all think?

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I have a 5 year old male neutered english bulldog and a 12 year old female spayed boxer. We recently got a male boxer puppy and have had absolutely no problems. We brought the puppy home in July. I did make sure to get him neutered as soon as he was old enough. I think he was 5 months. There is no fighting at all. Years ago a breeder told me two males are find as long as they are neutered and to neuter them before they reach maturity.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Honestly from my experience being neutered does not make a huge difference. Has more to do with temperaments of both dogs. Have them meet on neutral ground somewhere your dog is not familiar. Have them meet at a distance at first to see how they react. Once comfortable you can allow them to come closer and closer until eventually they are close enough to sniff rears. Avoid face to face if possible. Once they're used to eachother you can walk them together so that they can see one another is not a threat and then hopefully you can take them both home.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As long as your boy is laid back and likes other dogs, he should be fine, and adult dogs usually will tolerate a pup and become play mates. As long as your new pup does not grow up being aggressive to other dogs, you should not have any problems. Ask the breeder if the sire and dam both get along with other dogs, as aggression can be passed down. We had a beautiful ch. female that when she got older did not like other dogs. We bred her one last time and she had 4 beautiful pups. One we were going to keep for show and breed, but once she got around a year old, she turned into her mama, and hated other dogs, so we spayed her and found her a loving fur-ever home.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.