Patricia Lynn Ryan

Nov 25, 2014
OK so we are on our third EB now and we have a 7 month old male named Rocky. Unfortunately he had a major issue with his penis area and it started bleeding bad for well over a week. It recently got much better and almost healed. Now to prevent him from doing it again we had him neutered. Sad day today. I feel terrible about it but we don't want the same issue with his penis happening. Now my question for anyone is about the cone they gave us. He absolutely hates the thing and seems to start breathing harder with it on. Like panicking. My question is does he really need it. We had a diaper on the area but it seems to rub raw. The E-callar is way too big making him not want to walk. The other thing is he can't reach the area at all so why an callar. How can we get him to be safe and us to sleep at night. He has a comfy kennel. Any help would be great. Thanks.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby… if you can keep an eye on him I would take the collar off him, especially if he's having a panic attack over it. There are soft collars (and inflatable ones) that you can purchase at pet stores… they will prevent him from reaching the area, but at least let him rest.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
After my guys were neutered they did not need a collar b/c the vet said they wouldn't be able to reach the area (and she was right). So, my guess is Rocky won't need one either.

Finn had to be neutered at 10mos old b/c he too had the bleeding from the penis going on which was d/t a prolapsed urethra. Wishing Rocky a speedy recovery from the surgery!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with Rocky, I hope he has a quick and easy recovery. You are right about the collar, not really being necessary. I had Bulldozer neutered and Blossom spayed and her cherry eye repaired when they were 7 months old, and our vet didn't even offer or suggest the collar. They both recovered really quick, the hardest part of the post surgery was trying to keep them quiet and not allowing them to jump up or down from the couch or bed, and from running around. They didn't touch their surgery areas, and couldn't reach their bits. I'm sure Ricky will rest much easier without the cone, try him without it, and watch him to see if he licks the surgery site. If you feel he still needs a cone, they sell soft cones at Petsmart, and PetValu. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way for Rocky to heal quickly, and get back to himself soon.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Take it off, we have never used the cone of shame for any of our bullies after a spay, neuter, or C-Section.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Agree with all the above. Did not use the cone on Jewel and Bentley for their respective surgeries because they could not reach the surgical sight. As already said, limited activity for Rocky which will be much harder than monitoring with a cone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Take it off, we have never used the cone of shame for any of our bullies after a spay, neuter, or C-Section.

agreed! my two could not reach the area at all, nor did they try. My Frenchie is the same way, does not try nor can he reach

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OK so we are on our third EB now and we have a 7 month old male named Rocky. Unfortunately he had a major issue with his penis area and it started bleeding bad for well over a week. It recently got much better and almost healed. Now to prevent him from doing it again we had him neutered. Sad day today. I feel terrible about it but we don't want the same issue with his penis happening. Now my question for anyone is about the cone they gave us. He absolutely hates the thing and seems to start breathing harder with it on. Like panicking. My question is does he really need it. We had a diaper on the area but it seems to rub raw. The E-callar is way too big making him not want to walk. The other thing is he can't reach the area at all so why an callar. How can we get him to be safe and us to sleep at night. He has a comfy kennel. Any help would be great. Thanks.

How is your baby doing? Is he okay?

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The cone or the inflatable actually helped my Jakey behaved a little bit because it prevented him from being too active. Jumping is a big no no. So the first few days I was giving Jake calming treat which helped him easily fall asleep. After a week I already bathed him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online