Thread: Post Neuter Surgery Help Please!

Default Post Neuter Surgery Help Please!

OK so we are on our third EB now and we have a 7 month old male named Rocky. Unfortunately he had a major issue with his penis area and it started bleeding bad for well over a week. It recently got much better and almost healed. Now to prevent him from doing it again we had him neutered. Sad day today. I feel terrible about it but we don't want the same issue with his penis happening. Now my question for anyone is about the cone they gave us. He absolutely hates the thing and seems to start breathing harder with it on. Like panicking. My question is does he really need it. We had a diaper on the area but it seems to rub raw. The E-callar is way too big making him not want to walk. The other thing is he can't reach the area at all so why an callar. How can we get him to be safe and us to sleep at night. He has a comfy kennel. Any help would be great. Thanks.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Post Neuter Surgery Help Please!

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby… if you can keep an eye on him I would take the collar off him, especially if he's having a panic attack over it. There are soft collars (and inflatable ones) that you can purchase at pet stores… they will prevent him from reaching the area, but at least let him rest.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

After my guys were neutered they did not need a collar b/c the vet said they wouldn't be able to reach the area (and she was right). So, my guess is Rocky won't need one either.

Finn had to be neutered at 10mos old b/c he too had the bleeding from the penis going on which was d/t a prolapsed urethra. Wishing Rocky a speedy recovery from the surgery!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with Rocky, I hope he has a quick and easy recovery. You are right about the collar, not really being necessary. I had Bulldozer neutered and Blossom spayed and her cherry eye repaired when they were 7 months old, and our vet didn't even offer or suggest the collar. They both recovered really quick, the hardest part of the post surgery was trying to keep them quiet and not allowing them to jump up or down from the couch or bed, and from running around. They didn't touch their surgery areas, and couldn't reach their bits. I'm sure Ricky will rest much easier without the cone, try him without it, and watch him to see if he licks the surgery site. If you feel he still needs a cone, they sell soft cones at Petsmart, and PetValu. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way for Rocky to heal quickly, and get back to himself soon.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Take it off, we have never used the cone of shame for any of our bullies after a spay, neuter, or C-Section.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Agree with all the above. Did not use the cone on Jewel and Bentley for their respective surgeries because they could not reach the surgical sight. As already said, limited activity for Rocky which will be much harder than monitoring with a cone.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Take it off, we have never used the cone of shame for any of our bullies after a spay, neuter, or C-Section.
    agreed! my two could not reach the area at all, nor did they try. My Frenchie is the same way, does not try nor can he reach
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

to EBN, I hope he heals up quickly.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Lynn Ryan View Post
    OK so we are on our third EB now and we have a 7 month old male named Rocky. Unfortunately he had a major issue with his penis area and it started bleeding bad for well over a week. It recently got much better and almost healed. Now to prevent him from doing it again we had him neutered. Sad day today. I feel terrible about it but we don't want the same issue with his penis happening. Now my question for anyone is about the cone they gave us. He absolutely hates the thing and seems to start breathing harder with it on. Like panicking. My question is does he really need it. We had a diaper on the area but it seems to rub raw. The E-callar is way too big making him not want to walk. The other thing is he can't reach the area at all so why an callar. How can we get him to be safe and us to sleep at night. He has a comfy kennel. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    How is your baby doing? Is he okay?

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Caroline
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

The cone or the inflatable actually helped my Jakey behaved a little bit because it prevented him from being too active. Jumping is a big no no. So the first few days I was giving Jake calming treat which helped him easily fall asleep. After a week I already bathed him.

Remove Ads