is this normal at all?

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Hi everyone. Winston decided to snag Triggers new nylabone - which is HUGE. Since we rescued Winston months ago he has NEVER played with, or chewed anything. however, after only moments of chewing there was a lot of blood all over it. :( we immediately got it away from him and I pried his big mouth open to look at his teeth, gums, tongue etc. Well I certainly wasn't ready for one thing I found. .... he has teeth growing out of the roof of his mouth, middle of palate, and more random teeth inside the "normal" rows of teeth. .... is this normal? ... as for the blood, his gums are really inflamed around a couple teeth but we will be monitoring closely.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The extra teeth are normal. Both Blue and Wellie have them too.

The bleeding, well that's why I don't allow Nylabones anymore. After awhile, the edges get sharp and Blue would always cut his gums on them.
I know some here file them down until they're smooth again though. I'm too lazy and just don't buy them anymore.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Ellie, the extra teeth are normal, my guys have them too. And we also don't give our guys anything other than Kong toys because they chew and swallow everything. I've been thinking about getting them some Deer Antlers, I've heard good things about them, and my guys like to chew. The blood could have been from the nylabones scratching the tissues, or it could be from the inflamed gums.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some do have extra teeth as others have said. The Nylabones will cause bleeding if the edges get to sharp. I will Dremel them down when they get like that.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Their land sharks I tell ya!! LOL. They grow in rows and totally normal.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Their land sharks I tell ya!! LOL. They grow in rows and totally normal.

Wow, interesting! - I only thought sharks had double rows of teeth:)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has extra teeth. One being right in the middle of the roof of his mouth :w00t: I showed the vet years ago. Nothing to worry about.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
all normal... even th blood just keep the edges smooth... as someone else stated dremel them when they get nasty

OP
triggerSnores

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Thanks everyone. As of yet Trigger has been fine with the nylabones and no extra teeth. Just really crooked front bottom ones. ;) Those of you familiar with Winstons story will understand me when I say I shouldn't be surprised. I have heard of extra teeth but out of the palate? ?? Weird! ! Little icky haha. We did get him an antler and he is doing really well with it. Such a big step with him, he's actually PLAYING now! !! No nylabones for him tho, and I will watch trigger closely with his. Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] and land sharks is totally accurate! ;)

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
No more nylabones. The boys chew off pieces and we threw them away. Kong's and Elk Antlers period. It killed me to pay $45.00 per antler but they have to chew something other than my shoes, tables or door trim. Ralphie

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.