What would you do?

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
We have a EBD. He is 11 weeks old. Loving his kennel. Goes in there without having me to put him in there. I don't leave him for very long during the day with his door shut in the kennel. Maybe only an hour or so at the most as I don't work. My husband wants to go skiing thanksgiving day weekend and the only way to do that is if I leave him in his kennel. I thought about putting him in the bathroom with his kennel door open and putting pee pads on the floor. Do you think it would be okay to leave him that long? Not sure what to do. Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
hi Christina, so how many hours will that be on Thanksgiving day wknd?

Your bulldog is still very young and will likely need those pee pads. When my bully was the same age I left him alone at home too while I worked, w/pee pads; as long as you keep the bathroom puppy-safe, maybe turn on a radio or TV, i don't see why you couldn't leave him there for a few hours. If someone can come by and check on him during the time you're away, that would be even better.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
add some cloths with your smeII some toys and if Ionger than 4 hours someone to check in on them - you would be surprised how many want to - even more surprised on who you would trust with him

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Anything more than four hours he needs to be checked on.....

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I wouldn't do it unless you're right near the lifts and would only be gone for a few hours. Not realistic though.

When we got Blue, it was January. My hubs Chris is avid snowboarder and I ski (kind of :)) but we had to forgo that season. Even with half day lift tickets, it would of been an all day event.
Just wasn't realistic to leave a puppy at home for that many hours. Too much pee and poo everywhere, and they would just be scared. Not fair to the pup.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Call me crazy BUT.... On our wedding day, while I was getting my hair done and getting ready, my husband to be played with Goob as long as he could before he left for the venue. The ceremony started at 10am and the reception lasted until about 4 in the afternoon. We came STRAIGHT home (to my parent's house where Goob was) and got Goob out of his crate....yes, in the wedding dress and all!!!... AND we skipped on the honeymoon. Neither of us could leave Goob. EVERYONE called us crazy, giving us their well meaning advice BUT we just couldn't leave him.

IF you need to leave him for the weekend, I suggest finding a family member or friend to watch him at their house OR who would stay the weekend at your house. It would have to be someone who understands that he's not the kind of dog you just keep in the backyard until bedtime. Someone who will follow your directions TO THE T.If no such person lives close to you...I would skip on the trip....BUT that's just me!

20141024_202250.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Are you taking him with you? Honestly, we got Brutus at the end of January two years ago and we always go skiing over presidents weekend and we skipped it that year because even though we had family to watch him, we felt it would be too disruptive to his training and confusing for him for us to be away from him that soon.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well, here's the thing, anything could happen that y'all get delayed
at the ski lifts, traffic, accidents, weather (road issues) etc, I would
not go unless you have someone there or at their home with him. Or
board him at Vet's, etc. Even just gone 4 or 5 hours, he's just too
young yet and could work himself into a panic, bully's are sensitive.
Just to young yet is my advice, good luck & GOD bless y'all!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I would not leave an eleven-week-old puppy on his own; to me this is not only a practical matter but also has to do with the trust and attachment that you are establishing with him now when he is young. I would therefore ask someone you know and trust come and babysit him while you are gone.

Most Reactions