Potty/crate Training 10 week old pup

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Hi just got in Norman and we just love this little guy to death!

Question for all you experienced bully owners. How often should I expect my bully to pee/poo in his crate? It seems like I'm always cleaning up his crate cause if I leave him in there for anything longer than couple hours I'll find myself a nice little gift in his sheets. Both my wife and I work but we try to let him out during lunch and of course as much as we can when we are home.

Night times our breeder told us he can usually make it through the night (~6 hours) so long as we bring him out first thing. I've been trying this but he's pooped/peed two hours into the night. This is after we took him out to potty and his last meal is always no later than 6pm.

I know he can hold it for long time, as on the first night there was no pee/poo.

I've just adjusted his crate size to be a little bit smaller... Perhaps this will help?

Anyways, any tips would be great!

ccc31f111254f3f42ed784991575331c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Pups can generally hold their pee/poo at that age for 2 to 3 hours tops. You should get him on a schedule to go out every 2 hours, when he wakes up from a nap, gets done playing, 30 minutes after eating etc.. Both morning and night, so you will lose some sleep for a while. Rule of thumb is they can hold it 1 hour per month of age plus 1 hour, but that isn't always true as each pup is different. He should have just enough room in the crate to sit, lie down and turn around which looking at your pic is just about right. Getting him on a schedule will help alot, and if you have to leave him crated to go to work try to get someone to come by and let him out to keep the schedule as much as possible.

OP
slowly

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Thanks for that. Will pups usually poop in middle of night even if their latest meal is 6pm?

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Be patient. Every 2 hours worked 90% of the time for us but when Canelo had to go, he went. As he got older he got better. We took him out after eating, when he would wake and 1-2 hours when he was up. If he was active 1 hour. It took Canelo 3-4 months old to improve a lot but he's a great boy now. He does his biz outside.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
When Ruckus was that age I had to wake up once during the night to let him potty -- he could make it about 4 hours at night. It got better quickly, but their bladders are so tiny at that age.

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Lola was still pooping in the middle of the night when I take her out (dinner at 5pm) until about two weeks ago. She is almost 14 weeks old now. I don't let her settle into bed until she goes sometime between 8-10pm. Now she won't poop again until morning.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.