Rescue Bullie Issues

PatrickD82

Oct 27, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hey everyone. I just rescue a male bulldog from a couple that couldn't afford and didn't really know how to take care of him. He has really bad food allergies and when I got him he was super skinny. We are his 4th home and he will be 2 in Dec 19th. He is not fixed but soon to be. I also have a very submissive 2 year bulldog which is fixed he's a big baby but very well behaved.

I have a bunch of questions. The vet can't see him until the 21st

The first night in his kennel and whenever my wife leaves the room he barks non stop! (Getting better)

They also said he had a yeast infection in his paws. Which they told me they put hand sanitizer on to try and relieve (ouch!).

He is fed grain free food (Rachel Ray). And had other food allergies as well. Right now we are just feed him chicken breast to try to get his weight up. My question is the I feed my boy now Fromm Holistic puppy. Do you think this is something that he can eat or do I need fully grain free? Do you think it's too dangerous to try him out on?

His allergies have left his skin very red and with lots of sores. Is there anything you can suggest to put on them?

Also he tries to hump my other dog. Once he is fixed do you think this will stop? He also has tried to bite my other dogs muzzle out of nowhere. They were just laying there. 95% of the time they get along great though.

He also pees in his kennel and when I try to play with him like I do my other dog he puts his ears back and pees. Even while he is sitting. Like 7 times in a row. FYI only happened once.

Oh and he had a cherry eye that has white discharge goes away and comes back. Poor guy is a mess but I know that my wife and I can get him on the right track.

Sorry this is so long I just never have had 2 dogs before and I know there are a lot of experienced owners in here.

043911b0ad416d8513a034868061ed6b.jpg

627b9b1b27ed7c3e9c52624f7c303b2a.jpg

97209a5aa8659356e5e3e82c083733cf.jpg

dbd5f15451cbec70349305f31308bf7f.jpg

1e16dd7e8b8d02d281ad4767718d9060.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! First of all, THANK YOU for rescuing this sweet boy… he obviously has had a very hard life so far. His behavior (especially the submissive peeing) suggests that he was abused at some point. Or he's just nervous about his new environment, I would say this is going to take some time. I would keep him on boiled chicken/sirloin w/rice and gradually transition to adult kibble food. Fromm's is a great food, and he could go ahead and be on the adult variety. Your vet may suggest feeding him differently though because of his weight loss, so I would wait to see what the vet suggests. Most of us on here use Fromm's grain free for our bullies, and a great one to try is the Beef Frittata grain-free. His behavior suggests he's trying to see where he fits in w/your other dog… I think this will calm down once he gets used to his new family. I'm going to attach some threads on here to help w/your other issues…

Good luck & keep us posted on how he's doing...
English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention
English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva
English Bulldog News Forums - Cherry Eye - What It Is and How to Treat It.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow poor boy has had it rough, thank God for you!! Many of the problems you are having seem very normal especially with all he's been through. Time and routine will help him adjust. Ddnene gave you some excellent advice above. Please keep us updated on him and how he's doing. I cannot believe he is so thin. :(

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Give him time to adjust and re evaluate his behavior.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Welcome to EBN :).

I'm gonna address each question separately.

The barking could just be because everything's new and he doesn't want to be left alone. It's good he's getting better as it shows he's getting more comfortable.

The yeast infection in the paws.. oh man, this can be a pain to get under control.
First, you need something that kills yeast (do not use hand sanitizer.) Some of the best one I found are Douxo or Trizchlor 4. Both can be found on Amazon.
The active ingredient in them is chlorhexidine. Douxo pads have 3% and TrizChlor pads have 4%. I found that when Douxo doesn't work well enough, the TrizChlor does.
Amazon.com : Sogeval Douxo 30 Count Chlorhexidine 3-Percent PS Pads : Pet Health Care Supplies : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : Dechra TrizCHLOR 4 Wipes (50 count) : Pet Grooming Wipes : Pet Supplies
Others make their own by buying Chlorhexdine in the gallon jugs and diluting it with water. I just don't know the water to solution ration.
Also, they contain different amounts of chlor (usually between 3 and 4%) and surprisingly, this makes a huge difference (at least with us it did) in hard to treat yeast cases.

I would stick with grain free but do as [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] suggested. Feed him home cooked chicken with rice. Just boiled chicken and remove all bones with some rice until he's eating better
then slowly mix in the kibble of your choice. I see he's very thin. How many times a day are you feeding him? Poor baby looks like he should be fed 3x a day. You may also want to try boiled hamburger (with rice) instead of chicken as it has more calories. Just be sure you drain the beef to get rid of the extra fat.
I know whenever I've fed it to my boys, they've always gained weight.
Also, here's a link to the dog food articles: English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Food And Nutrition
Here's a link to dog food ratings: English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News
And this one is a dog food FAQ that also shows what members here feed: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/english-bulldog-faq/40187-faq-feed-bulldog.html

I know people here use Salmon or Coconut oil to help the skin. But I wouldn't put him on anything just yet. I don't think introducing too many new foods and supplements is a good
idea right now. I think he needs to get adjusted to his environment first. Giving him too many new things to eat will probably just upset his belly.

As far as the allergies go, it's almost impossible without an allergy test to say if it's food related or not right now. Once he's settled in, eating a high quality kibble, and you're
able to get his yeast under control, then you can narrow down what can be causing the sores and pink skin.

The humping may or may not stop, impossible to say if neutering will help or not.

I don't understand your comment about peeing? It only happened once, or did it happen 7 times in a row?

Talk to your vet about the Cherry Eye. Most people have it fixed. But I'd probably wait until you got everything else under control.

I know I wrote out an entire "book" and I'm sorry for that. Just no quick way to answer the food issues..lol..

Good luck, and keep us updated.

OP
P

PatrickD82

Oct 27, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Thanks everyone for the information. The peeing only happening in one session but he walked/sat around and peed in 7 different spots. On a good the barking seems to have ceased.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks everyone for the information. The peeing only happening in one session but he walked/sat around and peed in 7 different spots. On a good the barking seems to have ceased.

oh.. i see. I think he's marking. Could be because your place was new to him, he smells other dogs, or just because he's not yet neutered.
Hopefully it will stop on it's own..

Anyone have any experience with this?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for adopting him, as he is a handsome boy. I would try FROMM Game Bird, or Pork and Peas, and see how he does on that. To try and give him some extra nutrition, since he is so skinny, get some of this and give to him. A lot of rescues give their emaciated dogs this to help put weight on them. It's Wysong PDG food supplement. We give it to Henri and to JLO to help put weight on them as they are very picky eaters and they love this stuff. The humping I doubt will stop after neutering, but you can tell him NO every time you see him doing it, and hopefully he will stop after awhile, it is a dominance thing. The peeing in his crate, hopefully he will stop that after awhile when he gets used to everything. He is a beautiful boy, and I can't wait to see more pics of him when you get him back in shape.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Thank you for adopting! I adopted a male bully a year ago from Long Star Bulldog Rescue and it took a little while for him to get used to the routine. Now though he is a healthy and happy 11 year old boy! Just take a deep breath and know that things will get better with time and patience.

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
I know that everyone has suggested Fromms and I would definitely try it out and see if it helps with the skin allergies. If it works, great! However, it did not work for my rescue who has skin issues. Gypsy would itch constantly and her chin was always bloody.

I feed Gypsy Natural Balance Potato & Rabbit. It's VERY limited in ingredients and has done wonders for Gypsy's skin.

L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Potato & Rabbit Dry Dog Formula - Natural Balance Pet Foods

Another product that I have found to help with skin issues is CVS's Antiseptic Skin Cleanser. It's a 4% Chlorhexidine gluconate solution and works great. It clears up fold sores in just a few applications.

CVS Antiseptic Skin Cleanser - CVS.com

Good Luck!

OP
P

PatrickD82

Oct 27, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Went to vet today got a clean bill of health and set up appointment for neutrino, chipping, and cherry eye surgery! YAY getting this guy back on track!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Went to vet today got a clean bill of health and set up appointment for neutrino, chipping, and cherry eye surgery! YAY getting this guy back on track!

AWESOME! keep us posted on him ... best of luck with the surgeries

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online