Bear must be big for his age

THREAT

Jan 18, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Every Bulldog owner I met so far in person says he is big for his age and can't believe he is only 10 months old. Some even gave me their business cards and wants me to contact them when he is ready to breed.

As a new Bulldog owner I am a little amazed, this guy who I was talking to had a 4yr old female bulldog and Bear literally towered over her. He was the biggest of his litter and he is growing nicely. I wonder if he will get bigger, I'm sure he will and maybe wider.

He is about 60lbs now, yes he is a pain when I put him up in my truck lol.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
That's not too big. And females, in general, are significantly smaller than the males, of course. Bear is a great looking bully but I don't think he's super big.

I say that because Linus (the handsome devil on the avatar photo) was 60 pounds at 7 months. He topped out at 80 pounds - and has even gone over that but he did lose some weight - but he is considered a very big bulldog. He's long, stocky, and, in all honesty, sort of tubby. But we're trying.

My other bulldog, Bentley, was a very nice sized bulldog who topped out around 62 pounds and wasn't considered a big bulldog.

I love me a big bulldog though. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Bear. I found that my bullies didn't really "fill out" until about 18 months old.

OP
THREAT

THREAT

Jan 18, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Yes your Bulldog is very big, 60lbs at 7 months? WOW

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes your Bulldog is very big, 60lbs at 7 months? WOW

Yes, the funny part is he was a preemie and took forever to open his eyes and walk as a pup. The lady I got him from thought he'd end up really small given his rough start in life. 5 years and 80 pounds later, he's a big tub 'o love. :heart:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] OMG he doesn't look like he weighs that much. he has a great frame to carry that!! soooooo beautiful.

Bear is gorgeous. I was obssessed with keeping my bully at a reasonable weight because i was petrified I would make him overweight and he would get a heart attack but i ended up underfeeding him according to the vet though he was healthy. He is almost 1 and about 45-50lbs though he hasn't been weighed in awhile. But I wonder why he looks so little to me, compact. Maybe I got a miniature one. lol.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] OMG he doesn't look like he weighs that much. he has a great frame to carry that!! soooooo beautiful.

Bear is gorgeous. I was obssessed with keeping my bully at a reasonable weight because i was petrified I would make him overweight and he would get a heart attack but i ended up underfeeding him according to the vet though he was healthy. He is almost 1 and about 45-50lbs though he hasn't been weighed in awhile. But I wonder why he looks so little to me, compact. Maybe I got a miniature one. lol.

Your Bear is only 5lbs. away from the standard USA bulldog weight, on a male is 55lbs.

In the UK however, the bullies range about 10lbs heavier. My guess would be that both Linus and Bear have some strong British bloodlines somewhere. You will see the UK bulldogs are quite stocky, short and wide. The USA are usually taller and more lean. Also if you add in the puppy mills and backyard breeders who are breeding 'bulldogs' but they may actually be mixed, not full blooded, then you start getting longer legs and bigger snouts.

I would love to someday get me a british bulldog, or get one here in the USA from a breeder whose lines are british.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

Aw, thanks so much. Linus is a BIG bulldog but he looks good. But he does have a tummy. :)

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hudson grew like that too! He's 55 lbs at 7 months. When we went to the vet, they told us NO MORE WEIGHT! and switched us to adult food. (which was good, we needed to switch brands anyway, so we're on the wellness core now.) They want to watch his weight because he has patellar luxity. (Boo!) But I do think a big, proportionate Bully is a good looking one, and Bear is no exception!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Awwe! :heart: Bear! He is too cute! Silva, who is a female, weighs 56 lbs but has weighed up to 60 lbs when she was on crappy food and bad treats!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online