Question for everyone: Does your bully ever get full?

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Harvey is close to 6 mos. now. I feed him twice a day with what I say is a very generous cup size each. After his morning meal, I will proceed with a very generous serving of fruit - half a banana with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Then he will get his noon and night time treats. He will go through each meal in no time.

Then he follows me around as if to say, hey is that all your feeding me? I feel like he never gets satisfied. I was tempted one time to see how far he would go until he ignores food. I wanted him satisfied yet I am worried of his weight since in the end, I am the one who will suffer with vet bills should he get sick - related to weight/joint problems and so on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nope... both Banks and my Frenchie, Cheli would eat till the vomit and then start eating again. However, Nitschke was a very picky eater and sometimes only ate half his meal.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
that's a good question. I often ask myself this too b/c right after my boys eat their meals, they sit at my side as I eat mine, begging with their eyes. I 2nd guess myself and wonder if i'm underfeeding them. Their weights are just fine however so the answer to that is NO and i think they just have huge appetites!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think he follows you around because to him you are his natural mommy. They can be very clingy and will not let you out of his sight. He loves his mom.

OP
harveyspecter

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I think he follows you around because to him you are his natural mommy. They can be very clingy and will not let you out of his sight. He loves his mom.

Dolphin,
Everytime I open your user thing, I imagine you (Buster) looking at me saying, hey Jumar, wassup, wassapening?:happydance::dance2::haha:

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Yes i do think so. Bifi does self regulate. Whenever i would present him a whole meal like say: a whole duck, a whole goose and just recently a whole rabbit, he would just walk away when he's full. He could eat a kilo of meat but more than that he leaves some for another meal.

OP
harveyspecter

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Yes i do think so. Bifi does self regulate. Whenever i would present him a whole meal like say: a whole duck, a whole goose and just recently a whole rabbit, he would just walk away when he's full. He could eat a kilo of meat but more than that he leaves some for another meal.

Wow, a whole duck, a whole goose. Bifi's life is good. Could you let me know next time, I will join BIFI for lunch or something.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol, yes very normal, I think because they don't chew their food, but inhale it, they don't really taste it so never feel like they've eaten. Lol. Blossom is so food motivated, she will eat her food in less than a minute, then will try to get Dozers, then will b-line it for the cat food, and then the garbage can in the kitchen, and finally she will try to eat her way through the dog food bin. We have to turn the bin in toward the wall because she knows how to open it with her nose and dive in to eat as much as she can before we get to her. Also when we are on a walk she is constantly sniffing for things to eat like a Hoover. She will eat leaves, and she loves cigarette butts. She's has found half eaten apples, and a couple of bananas in the grass and has tried to swallow them whole, she picks up old gum, and any food that she can find on her walks. I constantly have to watch the ground as we walk to steer her away from stuff. She's my little Bully Goat and I'm sure she would eat until she exploded.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I wouldn't know. I feed my boys twice a day about 0,7lbs each serving, raw food. They get treats only when training and I don't give them any human food, except one type of cheese. They will smell it when I get it out and come running. Other than that they're not interested when we eat or show no signs of hunger.
But when Voitto was a pup he almost attacked my feet if I wasn't quick enough with his meal. Usko was the pickiest eater and really thin as a pup, drove me nuts.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Our two must be weirdo puppies. They will be 8 months old next weekend. The do not eat or drink until 4:00 or 5:00pm. The water bowl stays full along with their food bowls. They will eat 2 1/2 to 3 cups of puppy food each day. They normally finish up eating around 8:00pm. That's it. No human food or treats. No begging.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Might be an age thing, perhaps? At that age, Castor seemed to be hungry all the time too, and he would empty the bowl in seconds.

Now he's about 1.5 yrs and almost the opposite. Sometimes he eats at once when it's feeding time, but more often than not he won't eat until later. If he doesn't want to eat before we leave in the morning, we leave the food out but Castor won't touch it until I'm back home by lunch and tell him again that he can eat... In other words, in our case, we've seen a change in eating patterns as Castor got older.

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker is very food motivated, which is very helpful with training, but I think he would eat till he threw up, and probably eat that ! :gross:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online