Itchy Bulldog

xBandit

Jun 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
My bulldog seems itchy more often lately mainly near his tail. I clean daily with witch hazel let dry and put anti itch powder in his tail and folds. But just doesnt seem enough. Past month or so noticed his face stinks and I can wash it and wash it and still stinks. Im thinking he has a allergy problem or a yeast problem. Havent talked to a vet yet but what can I do to help cure this problem? He is on a grain free 4 health dog food and a time or two a day a non grain free treat. Wonder what can I do and maybe what others have done to help their dogs?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My bulldog seems itchy more often lately mainly near his tail. I clean daily with witch hazel let dry and put anti itch powder in his tail and folds. But just doesnt seem enough. Past month or so noticed his face stinks and I can wash it and wash it and still stinks. Im thinking he has a allergy problem or a yeast problem. Havent talked to a vet yet but what can I do to help cure this problem? He is on a grain free 4 health dog food and a time or two a day a non grain free treat. Wonder what can I do and maybe what others have done to help their dogs?

We use a medicated shampoo and it works great along with Duoxo pads on his folds and muzzle. If he gets really bad I clean with Witch Hazel and then put a little panalog on it. He smells better then I do. hahaha.

You might want to try a different food if his face is red but if it's just stinky i would stick with the food and maybe try some other topical thing.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would consider a protein change in your food. My Truman was AWFUL. His butt stunk. His tail stunk - and it didn't matter how many times we cleaned it. I found a food that has an 'exotic' protein that he is not allergic to and it has worked wonders. I use California Naturals Kangaroo and Red Lentils. It's grain and gluten free. Now it might not work for your baby but finding the right protein is at the root of winning the war on itchy and stinky wrinkles and paws!

OP
X

xBandit

Jun 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
yea I think im gonna slowly work him on getting him to a little better food bad thing is we just bought a new 30lb bag of food and can food haha. His eyes are a little red and got goop all in them all the time. Would giving him a little bit of benadryl help him any?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
yea I think im gonna slowly work him on getting him to a little better food bad thing is we just bought a new 30lb bag of food and can food haha. His eyes are a little red and got goop all in them all the time. Would giving him a little bit of benadryl help him any?

Maybe it's the canned food?? Benadryl will help! 1 adult pill for each 25 lbs your bully weighs. I had to try several proteins with Vegas's grain free food til I found one that works. He has been on Earthbourne Holistic Lamb for 2 years now and it really has helped him. He still get's itchy but most of his allergies are environmental. I also use Pharmaseb medicated shampoo, that also really helps. But there are days that I do have to give Benadryl.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Can't you return it if it is 3/4 full still. That is the same kind I fed my girl prior to changing over to Fromm. Most places take dog food back around here where I am from in Michigan as long as the bag is a certain amount full. You should check into it. Isn't that from Tractory supply? I am pretty sure they also do the same if it isn't pleasing to the customer.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I am by no means a 1/100 of an expert but the boys were on 4 health puppy and we switched them to Fromm Puppy in the pink bag. It took them about 10 days and we have not had any problems. Give the 30 pound bag to the dog pound. I am a firm believer in what they eat. Ralphie

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've been given great advice above already, and I agree it may be the food. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, and beef plus she's sensitive to corn and grains. We switched her to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, and she's much better, but not 100% free of symptoms. On the other proteins she had pink face, and chin acne, goopy eyes, excessive paw licking warm red ears, and red bumps on her belly. Now she doesn't have any of these symptoms , but still itches her paws sometimes. I do sometimes feed them home cooked, and they do well on this too. Benadryl will definitely help with itchiness, and goopy eyes. You can also try rinsing with equal parts of warm water and white vinegar after a bath, as it is soothing to the skin, and vinegar is a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal which helps kill bacteria, parasites, and is good for allergy symptoms.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online