sorry, so many questions

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
my almost 2 bulldog loves his toys. loves them, loves them, loves them. we had a 2 yr old boxer foster in our home last month and there were major fights over the toys. I am not sure who started them because sometimes it is the posturing that you miss. I thought it was my bulldog but I am not sure. now we have this pup and I think that foster dog screwed up my bulldog(ernie) a bit. he is extremely aloof and leary. I am terrified to put toys out in case he attacks her. He has not growled at her but he shows absolutely no body language ever(except when he has toys). I gave her a few toys in her crate(which she continues to pee in but that is another issue) and give him a few then. She carried one out just now and his eyes never left her. I decided to scatter a few of his toys and he ran for one and looked like he was bringing it to her to play. then she grabbed one and he ran right up to her and I was too nervous to let it play out so I put all of the toys away. It will be very sad if we cannot have toys....does anyone have a no toy home?

with the peeing in the crate...I took her to vet...could not get a pee sample at home(of course) and could not get one there. vet started her on antiobotics regardless. she is so huge that I wonder if her stomach presses her bladder. I left her two hours and if she had just peed outside and she peed in the crate. I feel terrible that she is sitting in it all of the time.

I got her from the breeder I had gotten ernie from. things seemed off with her this time and that should have been my red flag. now she will not return my calls. the pup also had a pretty bad ear infection, was very overweight(her stomach pulls her back down and she is only 12 weks. vet said she has never seen one so heavy at this age. and she has a possible uti. I am just angry that the breeder let her get into this condition!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You are the alpha in the house. They both need to know that. They shouldn't fight over the toys because they are YOUR toys. But, you can't establish that unless there are toys...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think you are going to have to let them interact with the toys. I NEVER allow any bones. Just toys. My Brutus loves his toys also. As soon as he is awake he cries for his toys. Frankie is not so toy motivated and will play but isn't crazy like Brutus. I should state that we have had Brutus since birth and Frankie is a rsecue who came to us in December of 2013. Frankie is 3 and Brutus is going to be 2 next week. If Brutus sees Frankie with a toy he will try to steal it away from him. Sometimes Frankie will go for it and sometimes he will put up a stink. If I see Brutus being obnoxious I will tell him to mind his own business and get another toy. He will usually do so until he just can't stand it anymore and will go get the toy as soon as Frankie leaves it alone. I have seen him try to stuff several toys in his mouth at once so Frankie can't get them. You have to just moderate all play, never leavethem unattended with toys and all should be fine. correct any behavior you don't like immediately and don't be afraid to take the toys away if Ernie isn't listening to what you want.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I will try that. just a bit nervous over what happened in the past and she is so much smaller than him

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
also... to get them thinking and knowing you are alphs... use Nothing in Life is Free technique... very easy

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
ok toy issue is resolved. they play now with the toys ...going over to the training page to get help with a another matter. thanks everyone! I just had to get my big girl panties on with the toys

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.