Chubbs' eye surgery

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@RiiSi Since the vet didn't give us one, I don't plan on using a cone unless we see him rubbing his eyes. Thank you!

Really? I've never heard of that. Did the vet mention why he didn't need one?

Just be careful. I remember when I wanted to take Blue's cone off (that big plastic nightmare they give you) and use a smaller more comfortable one- I was told no because even if he didn't rub his eyes with his paws, they have a tendency of rubbing their face into things to relieve the itch while it's healing. A shorter cone would allow the face rubbing so it defeats the purpose.

Not questioning your vet, just giving you a different perspective.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=9802]My Otis[/MENTION] [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Thanks! [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] I was surprised as well but they said unless he's rubbing it there's no need for one. Why? Because of his technique. He doesn't just tack it down. Either way, we have a cone from our regular vet just in case. Your perspective is greatly appreciated. [emoji3]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have had bullies that had eye surgery before and we never put a cone one any of them, and they did fine. In fact we have never put a cone on any of them after any surgery. Our vet never gave us one or told us to get one, and I wasn't going to put them through that wearing one.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
He's looking great:) I've never had a cone on my dogs either and they've had surgeries for all kinds of stuff... Bulldogs are probably to lazy to make a big deal out of it;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It probably depends on the eye surgery that was done. If there are external stitches or staples, or they are trying to rub their face, like in the case of entropion or distachia, a cone would probably be very necessary, as the incisions will itch when they heal. In a tuck/tack procedure, they eyes probably do not itch.

We had a cone on Sampson for only one day when he got his cherry eyes tucked, he wasn't messing with them so I took it off.

I should be recommended to watch for any face or eye rubbing after any type of eye surgery, and if they to rub, itch, paw or scratch at their eyes or face, then a cone would be needed.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Thanks all! [MENTION=10979]Bella and Dozers Dad[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=13028]boo boo butts mom[/MENTION] [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] Haha! [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] No external stitches. He's been pretty good about not rubbing his face. Thanks again!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.