Cherry Eye Again 6 Days After Surgery

caitlinstew

Nov 9, 2014
Reno, NV
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Last Thursday, November 6th, my 17th week old male, Bruce, had the cherry eye surgery. The vet used the pocket technique and used sutures to put it back into place. This morning after breakfast I saw that it has prolapsed out again. And it's bigger than before! Our check up appointment is tomorrow with the vet, and she said we don't need to come in today. Just wait until tomorrow.
Bruce has been wearing a cone 24 hours a day since last week. He's bored and hasn't been playing much. She told us that if he hit his eye in anyway the gland could pop back out, but he has been perfect. I just don't understand how this could have happened.
At this point I feel like an awful mom because I don't know how to help him. I gently massaged on the eye this morning to see if it could go back, but nothing.
I know there is not much I can do today, but I was hoping anyone could have suggestions on what I should go in saying tomorrow. I don't want to be clueless when I see the vet. I know removing the gland is extreme (especially in the dry weather here in NV), but is that something anyone has experience with?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

- Caitlin & Bruce

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
This happened to my Brutus. He had both eyes tucked and then the left eye failed and popped back out. He had to have the lining thinned/stripped out. The right eye has been fine. It is common for this to happen. Brutus had really bad cherry eye and the lining was very stretched out. Most vets will try to avoid removing or thinning the lining but when it pops again after tucking chances are very very high it will continue to pop and you don't want to keep putting them under to fix it. Brutus only has the one lining thinned and he has not had any issues with dry eye or anything like that. Is it only failing in one eye? I know for a fact that Brutus did not hit his eye to make it pop. His would pop while he was playing.

OP
caitlinstew

caitlinstew

Nov 9, 2014
Reno, NV
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
brutus77 - he only had the cherry eye in his left eye. We have not had any issues with the right so far (fingers crossed!). Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
brutus77 - he only had the cherry eye in his left eye. We have not had any issues with the right so far (fingers crossed!). Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
That's good that he only had it in his one eye. Best of luck to your sweet baby.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is what my poor baby looked like. He was 4 mos old.
20130320_101145.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Unfortunately, it's very common for this to happen. I think I've read that nearly half of the tacking procedures fail.

What I do now is wait until the second out comes out. It may not, but usually when the first one does, the second follows within a few months. When that happens, you can decide
if you're going to try again, or just have the gland removed.

Who did the surgery? Was it a regular vet or an Ophthalmologist?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It happens sometimes, so don't beat yourself up about it. Hopefully it will stick this time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have stated... It can happen, sending lots of positive thoughts it stays this time

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry this has happened, but it does sometimes. When my younger boy had the surgery the Ophthalmologist said that there's a great chance that it will happen again since Voitto's was so big. Luckily it didn't and other eye is fine. Still I would NOT recommend removing the gland since he will then most likely develope a dry eye later in life. You will then have to put drops in his eye 2 times a day, every day for the rest of his life. It can also cause corneal scarring which can lead to blindness. Good luck, Bruce looks just too cute.

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
I have this happened as well. My bulldog got a cherry eye at 5 months. Received surgery 2 weeks later and guess what it popped right back out. We opted not to have another surgery due to his breathing issues. So now he just hasa cherry eye in his left eye, it's not big very small actually. Don't beat yourself up nearly half of these procedures fail

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.