almost two year old bulldog completely aloof to pup?

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
so I took ernie to my breeders to meet a female pup thinking this will be the only way I will be able to bring another dog into my home.(we have a 14 year old boxer that ernie was raised with and they live side by side together). The pup is very social and outgoing and not obnoxious about it. The senior boxer is very accepting of her and interested. Ernie is completely aloof and will not come near her. When she tries to approach him he jumps back . I find this strange in such a young dog. Ernie goes to daycare 1x a week and has his entire life to keep him social with dogs. It is hard to say if he plays at daycare because most of the time when I see him they are all just wandering around together...but he is with the dogs wandering. The breeder let me take her home for a few days to see how Ernie does with her....any suggestions?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Just supervise all play. Give Ernie lots of love like usual and all should be good. If he isn't showing any aggression at this point, I think you will be ok. Good luck.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldogs are so strange sometimes, maybe he just needs to get used to the little girl like you said. I agree with Rosalie keep an eye on them all of the time they are together. Best of luck to you.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
have you guys ever had an adult go after a pup? I just don't get him!!!

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Maybe at the day care he is use to dogs of many sizes and not ones who are so little that actually come up to him which is kind of scary maybe. How neat that you were able to take the puppy for a few days. I hope things work out, I love that idea. Good luck

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would say just give it some time… maybe he feels like the "middle child" and needs some time to adjust. I would definitely supervise all play times, but he will probably warm up to her...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang... Give it some time

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
ok. I am just nervous because of the fighting with the foster dog. I truly did not know he had it in him. (back story...we had a foster dog(boxer) for a month that Ernie got in quite a few fights with). I honestly do not know who started them because ernie is completely expressionless...no tail or bug wag and just stands there. I think he had a very bad experience. I am afraid to put toys out right now because that is what started the fights with the other dog. How would you introduce toys?

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
In the puppies cage just so the puppy gets to enjoy the toys and your other dog sees the puppy in the cage with a toy while you then give your other dog a toy to play with. Just make sure you show both of them each other playing with a toy with you or by themselves.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.