10 week old EB and Questions

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
I adopted a EB on Friday. My first EB. He was 10 weeks old yesterday and from everything I have read they sleep so much. But I'm wondering if this is normal. He will get up and in the morning for about an hour and go back to sleep for anywhere to 30 mins to a couple of hours. Then he might get back up for about 30 mins to 1 hour and then back down and it just keeps like this. We try to play but sometimes he just would rather lay in my lap and sleep. Is this normal?

What is the best food to feed EB? Right now I'm feeding him Lamb and Rice, but I have read that EB's can have allergies to Lamb and Rice. Anyone have experience with that?

I'm also having issues with potty training. He doesn't go in his crate only at night a little. But during the day I will take him outside and he will go, but then it's not even 20 minutes later and his is pooping again on the floor. Suggestions??

Oh yes and his name is Bentley!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

sleep... Seems normal for a young puppy, they are still growing so every thing is in spurts. Lots of poo could be a sign it is not a right food. What brand of food are you feeding?

OP
Christina Stevens

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
Right now I'm feeding him nutro Lamb and rice. I thought about changing him over to Royal Canin but not sure how that food really is.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi Christina and welcome! As 2bullymama said, puppies sleep a lot. But in between they should have plenty of energy (piss n vinegar!) and want to play.

Check out the dog food ratings, I feed young pups Fromm puppy in the pink bag.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Christina, and welcome to EBN to you and Bentley.

To answer your first question, yes lots of sleeping is very normal for a puppy, but is also the norm for most bullies. My guys are almost 3 years old and still sleep lots, when they're not playing or snuggling. My guys will eat breakfast at 6:00 or 6:30 am, and then will usually go back to sleep for a couple of hours. You're guy is still young, so you do t fully know his personality yet, but some bullies don't like or need much play or exercise. My female Blossom is full of energy all the time, and loves to go on walks, she would walk for hours if we let her, my male Bulldozer, absolutely hates to walk and he can only play for 15 to 20 minutes before he tires out and pants. Every bully is different, but all bullies don't tolerate extreme temperatures not or cold, and can only exercise for short periods of about 20 minutes. You want to keep an eye on him when going on long walks, and watch for panting and heavy breathing, and always make sure you have always water with you.

For food you want to choose a good quality puppy food until he is 6 or 7 months old, puppy food provides the added vitamins, minerals, and calories they need for the rapid growth and development of a puppy. When he is 6 or 7 months, you can switch him to a good quality adult dog food. Most bullies are allergic to chicken and grains, but not usually to lamb. Have you read the dog food ratings on the home page yet? It lists the dog foods and rates them from a 6 Star down to a 1 Star food. You want to choose a 4 Star or higher dogfood. Royal Canin is not considered a great food it's rated at a 2 or 3 Star. Examples of better foods are Fromm's, which many members on here feed their dogs, they have a Puppy Formula in a pink bag which is a good food, we feed our guys Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, also Wellness, blue Buffalo, Arcana, Go Natural, and Orijen are good choices. A puppy should be eating 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day until the age of 6 or 7 months, and then switched to adult food, and feedings reduced to 1 cup of kibble 2 times a day.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

When it comes to potty training, the rule of thumb is puppies can hold their bladders for 1 hour for every month of age, so by the age of 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. The best way to train your puppy, and what worked for us is a strict potty schedule.

This is the schedule that worked for us;

Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.

It took us 5 months to fully potty train. The general rule is that they should be able to hold 1 hour for every month of age, so that by the time they are 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a pretty strict schedule for training our guys, until they were trained. Here is the schedule that worked for us.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The schedule we use now that they are older is:

6:00 am Go out for Potty, they usually do both

6:30 am Eat Breakfast

10:00 am Go for a walk, and potty breaks

2:00 pm Go out for potty breaks

6:00 pm Eat dinner

6:30 pm Go out for a walk, and potty breaks

10:00 or 11:00 pm out for last walk and potty breaks

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Welcome! Post some pictures of the pup!!

That amount of sleep sounds right, he'll sleep less as he gets older. When Ruckus was that age he slept also. With posset training, I remember taking ruckus out every time he ate or drank, anytime he woke up from a nap, and right after playing, and otherwise about every 45 minutes. They can't hold it for very long when they're so going. I also woke up once during the night to take him out.

OP
Christina Stevens

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
Thanks all for the response's
Last night I will have to say was horrible. I think mostly because yesterday we held him allot therefore he wanted to be held at night to sleep. I stay home all day and do not work so that is allot my fault. So today we have not held him to sleep. As soon as he starts to fall asleep we put him in his crate (door open) and he goes to sleep.
vikinggirl I liked that schedule that you posted and I have tried to stay true to it today. No accidents today which is great. Lets see how tonight goes.

I am going to cover his crate tonight with a sheet as well. We live in Colorado and its supposed to be cold tonight. I cover him with a towel at night while he is in his bed. I think the sheet might help keep the heat in. We keep it at 62 at night in the house and so this will keep all drafts out of the crate tonight. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Good luck, I hope you have a better night, but I always compare the puppy stage to a baby stage, the frequent waking up, the frequent potty breaks , ( same as changing diapers), getting up in the middle of the night, the crying or whining lol, and the cuddling. All the same as having a baby in the house, but it's a temporary phase and he will be trained before you know it, and it also all comes down to being patient, consistent, and sticking to a schedule.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online