Allergic to bulldog but not other dogs

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Is this possible? I don't know if you guys remember but I've had Great Danes for a bout 15 years and bulldogs for 5. About 6 months ago my seasonal allergies became unbearable. I wen't to the allergist, got a allergy test, and guess what I am allergic to dogs. Once I told the allergist I have owned great danes for about 15 years, with no problems and just got a bulldog puppy and had a bulldog prior to. Her reaction was..well do you think it's the bulldog. At that moment I brushed it off thinking that my allergies will get better, but they haven't I am not sure if it's due to the fact that my bulldog sheds all over the house ( there is hair everywhere). I've contained him in the basement, but my headaches are getting worse. My dane sheds as well, but nothing like the bulldog. I can pet my dane with no problem but have to immediately wash my hands after touching my bulldog

Any help is greatly appreciated

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Honestly I DO believe it's a possibility… I'm allergic to dogs as well, but I've been getting shots for years and it's hasn't been a problem. I have a good friend that is OK w/long haired dogs just NOT the short haired ones. I use the furminator on my dogs once a week and then follow up w/the kong brush to remove loose hairs. I also take them to the groomers every 6-8 weeks for bathes. It seems to help keep the shedding under control… I also do NOT sleep w/my dogs in the bed w/me, but they do occasionally get on the furniture.

Do you get allergy shots? It really helps me… I was getting allergy induced migraines.

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Has anyone tried hepa air filters? Do they help? I just bought one (Honeywell) since my wife has mild dog allergies. We also are using the allergen 3M furnace filters in hopes to minimize allergy symptoms. We get our bully in two days so crossing our fingers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Usually, people have certain tolerances to allergens and then it gets overloaded which causes the body to "send in the marines (histamine)". It could be that the bully pushed you to the overload mark.

About hepa air filters and such - it depends on your tolerance level. If you're very sensitive, it would reduce it but not eliminate it. Even putting the dogs on the other side of the house that shares the same AC unit as the rest of the house wouldn't eliminate it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Another thought is that puppy dander and saliva is different than adults, maybe it will change- for better or worse- as your bulldog gets older?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... I am sure it is possible --- maybe some of the advice the others have given may help. Maybe even think about changing food to see if it lessens the sheding for you bully?

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
thank everyone for your comments. I 've tried mostly evreything that was mentioned. The helpa filters really didn't help, and I've changed his food 3 times already ( 3 different types of grain free food) but no success, I've also received the allergy shot and different types of allergy medicine, I have this bulldog for a year and 6 months,( since he was a puppy ) So I would say I have been dealing with this for a bout that long, I know over a year

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thank everyone for your comments. I 've tried mostly evreything that was mentioned. The helpa filters really didn't help, and I've changed his food 3 times already ( 3 different types of grain free food) but no success, I've also received the allergy shot and different types of allergy medicine, I have this bulldog for a year and 6 months,( since he was a puppy ) So I would say I have been dealing with this for a bout that long, I know over a year

I was hoping something here would have helped.... I hope you find some relief without having to seperate or re-home him

Yugigi

Nov 10, 2014
Country
MA USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ginger(Masyanya)
Has anyone tried hepa air filters? Do they help? I just bought one (Honeywell) since my wife has mild dog allergies. We also are using the allergen 3M furnace filters in hopes to minimize allergy symptoms. We get our bully in two days so crossing our fingers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use rabbit air filter and it helps a lot. My husband has a cat allergy and he feels much better when this thing is on....Had other filters and they didn't help.

I also use Allerpet, it cleanses the hair of dander and saliva. You spray the paper towel with the solution and then wipe your dog (or cat)

we also have regular irobot and braava one and they are constantly in the working-charging-working mode.

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
just a quick update. I've recevied some new allergy medicine from my doctor and it seems to be working wonderfully yay!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
just a quick update. I've recevied some new allergy medicine from my doctor and it seems to be working wonderfully yay!

Wonderful! May we ask what it is so others who may have the same problem can ask their doctors about it?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.