Pinch Collars? youtube video included

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have used these on many of occasion, not on my guys, there was not a need, but I worked at a dog daycare/training facility and all employees were taught how to use them as many clients brought their dogs in on them and we needed to know how to use them correctly when walking the dog into the play areas. When used correctly they are a fantastic training tool... not meant to be used for life, only to be used to train -- once trained it should not be used unless they revert back to the unwanted behavior

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thanks! We're thinking of getting one but believe Chubbs' neck may be too sensitive at 4 months. He definitely needs some kind of training tool because treats aren't enough.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have used these on many of occasion, not on my guys, there was not a need, but I worked at a dog daycare/training facility and all employees were taught how to use them as many clients brought their dogs in on them and we needed to know how to use them correctly when walking the dog into the play areas. When used correctly they are a fantastic training tool... not meant to be used for life, only to be used to train -- once trained it should not be used unless they revert back to the unwanted behavior
I totally agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. I have used this type of Herm Springer collar for many dogs. The people who are horrified by these collars are the people who don't use them correctly-or just judge them because they think the "prongs" dig in their skin.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I totally agree with @2BullyMama. I have used this type of Herm Springer collar for many dogs. The people who are horrified by these collars are the people who don't use them correctly-or just judge them because they think the "prongs" dig in their skin.

That's exactly what I thought but then I saw tis video. Along with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] 's & your experience, helps me better understand the collar. :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama Thanks! We're thinking of getting one but believe Chubbs' neck may be too sensitive at 4 months. He definitely needs some kind of training tool because treats aren't enough.

that is too young, I would wait till you can get him into some puppy classes, if her continues to be too distracted after say 8 months, then look into the pinch collar. every dog I was around that had these were over the age of one and some were even older. You seriously only need to use it maybe once or twice ... they get it quick

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thanks! We're thinking of getting one but believe Chubbs' neck may be too sensitive at 4 months. He definitely needs some kind of training tool because treats aren't enough.

I agree that 4 months is too young. They're like human 2 year olds at that point, everything is exciting and new and they aren't really being obstinant yet, just babies. He'll likely start behaving better and calm down closer to one year.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think four months is way too young as well.
You need to give him a chance to learn first and to be honest, I would only use them as a last resort.
By last resort I mean even if a trainer doesn't work.

I think a lot of the issues with training isn't the dog, it's the owner. We're not always as consistent as we should be. But if you're very consistent, and nothing's worked, then I can see why someone would use this.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have seen waaaay too many people using this pinch collar to PULL the dog! They would pull and pull and pull at the dog thinking that the harder and longer they pull on the thing, the dog is finally going to stop doing whatever it is they don't want the dog to do. This is not the proper use of the pinch collar - not even the regular choke chain.

The pinch collar and choke chain is a training tool - not an "I am imposing my will on you, stupid dog!" tool. So, what you're looking for is the immediate negative feedback for unwanted behavior - not the complete change of behavior - that change in behavior will come through the training process which can be a once-or-twice-and-they-get-it process or the my-dog-is-stubborn-so-it-takes-them-a-while process.

The pinch collar is exactly what it said on the video - a simulation of a corrective bite on the neck that is the natural reaction of the pack leader disciplining the young. It's not designed to PULL the dog. It is designed to do a quick pinch and then let go. The choke collar works in the exact same manner and, like the video says, is not as effective especially on a bulldog that has thick skin if your intent was the simulation of the pack leader bite. I only use the choke collar for the "sound" distraction. Therefore, I don't pull on the chain to choke, I shake the chain to make that sound (similar to shaking a can of coins) to distract the dog and catch his attention.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes I used a prong collar in training Ace an OEB. I think if properly used, like the gentleman in the video illustrated and if you get a good piece of equipment, like a heavy duty Herm Springer prong collar then they are an effective and safe training device. A well made prong collar such as the Herm Springer on the prongs themselves they are thick and blunt on the ends not sharp, they are not meant to penetrate the skin, you simply want to use a quick snap and release as a correction like the man in the video demonstrated, its not for tugging or pulling. I can't stress too much that you should invest in a well made collar, I have seen some in pet stores that are cheap, thin and the prongs are sharper and I would never use one on my dog or any dog for that matter. Furthermore I didn't use one until Ace had his adult teeth and was approximately 6 months old. Why wait until they have their adult teeth and approximately 6 months? That is a general guide that the dog is mature enough for the use of such a collar and is developed enough that it will be more useful. A prong collar, is much safer than a choke type collar and in my opinion is actually safer than a traditional flat collar even if used during simple walks on leash. Why? Because there is much less danger of damaging your dogs trachea with a well made prong collar than with a flat collar because all the force on a flat collar if the dog should suddenly lunge or pull, is compressed right in the trachea area of the neck unlike a prong collar that distributes the pressure around the neck and not at the trachea. Many people are against them because they don't understand how they should be correctly used or have observed someone using one in an incorrect manner or simply because they look ominous when in fact they aren't if used correctly and if its a quality well made prong collar

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
People generally don't know how to use these tools. I've seen dogs injured by these collars and would never use them. Even with my 150-pound bullmastiffs, I found a training harness worked best and didn't go back to a trainer who recommended a prong collar for my dog.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Year's ago when I was married to my kid's dad we bred and raised Dobies. I had a great male that we bought after our house was robbed and took him to obedience school. I worked and worked with him to get the commands. It was the teacher that told me I needed to get a pinch collar. Nitro was very hard to train. I NEVER used it as a punishment, more of a listen to what is happening. Nitro was the best dobbie ever and learned to protect our house and the kids. Never had to use it again after training him the right way.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I used a prong collar on an extremely stubborn Australian Heeler, but I would never use one on a bulldog. IMO it could cause damage to their already compromised trachea area, and with all the loose skin it would take a lot of pull to get them to feel it. Training harness is the best option...

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Oh My Gosh. I could never use this type of collar. Never. Weesie and I have always whipped (tapped) them on their nose if they get out of line. Now you just have to rattle the paper and they stop what they are doing. EB's are no different than raising kids. Some use choke collars and some use time out. Obviously we are the time outers and we spend most all of our time raising the boys. The boys listen to Weesie more than I do. I love these Bulldogs. But NO never on these collars or the death penalty....

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Thanks all for your input. If we ever decide to go ahead & get this collar, we would NEVER use it as a choking/pulling tool. Only for it's intended use. Thanks again!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.