Puppy Puberty Question

caitlinstew

Nov 9, 2014
Reno, NV
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hello! I was rubbing my 16 week old male's, Bruce, belly just now when I noticed there is only one testicle. Up until now there have been two developing. Online searches resulted in seeing some posts about dogs who only developed one, but Bruce had two yesterday! I have a vet appointment this coming Thursday, but I am not sure if this is something I need to rush to the vet about tomorrow morning. Bruce does not seem to be in any pain, but, I just found this to be very strange!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
- Caitlin & Bruce

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
That is odd, but I do remember my Stiggy's second dropped when he was about 5 months old.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Hello! I was rubbing my 16 week old male's, Bruce, belly just now when I noticed there is only one testicle. Up until now there have been two developing. Online searches resulted in seeing some posts about dogs who only developed one, but Bruce had two yesterday! I have a vet appointment this coming Thursday, but I am not sure if this is something I need to rush to the vet about tomorrow morning. Bruce does not seem to be in any pain, but, I just found this to be very strange!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
- Caitlin & Bruce

Had the exact same issue (one day it was there and then it wasn't) and this is NO BIG DEAL at all. Definitely not something you need to rush to the vet for or stress about. He just retracted one of the testicles back up. If you palpate around the area you will generally find it in the fatty area in the groin. Sometimes the vet can massage it back into place. It's really only an issue if you were planning on using him as a stud or not neutering him. If it's high up in the abdomen (which I don't think it is considering it was just there and has already passed through the inguinal rings which close around 4 months of age) the neutering process is a bit more difficult -- otherwise no biggie. You can find more info by researching cryptorchidism, but this isn't necessarily a cryptorchid testicle since it likely just temporarily retracted and very well might drop back down on it's own.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Had the exact same issue (one day it was there and then it wasn't) and this is NO BIG DEAL at all. Definitely not something you need to rush to the vet for or stress about. He just retracted one of the testicles back up. If you palpate around the area you will generally find it in the fatty area in the groin. Sometimes the vet can massage it back into place. It's really only an issue if you were planning on using him as a stud or not neutering him. If it's high up in the abdomen (which I don't think it is considering it was just there and has already passed through the inguinal rings which close around 4 months of age) the neutering process is a bit more difficult -- otherwise no biggie. You can find more info by researching cryptorchidism, but this isn't necessarily a cryptorchid testicle since it likely just temporarily retracted and very well might drop back down on it's own.

^^ :goodpost:

Members online

No members online now.