Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)

Default Puppy Puberty Question

Hello! I was rubbing my 16 week old male's, Bruce, belly just now when I noticed there is only one testicle. Up until now there have been two developing. Online searches resulted in seeing some posts about dogs who only developed one, but Bruce had two yesterday! I have a vet appointment this coming Thursday, but I am not sure if this is something I need to rush to the vet about tomorrow morning. Bruce does not seem to be in any pain, but, I just found this to be very strange!!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    - Caitlin & Bruce

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Puppy Puberty Question

That is odd, but I do remember my Stiggy's second dropped when he was about 5 months old.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member mackbob's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bob (Bobman)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by caitlinstew View Post
    Hello! I was rubbing my 16 week old male's, Bruce, belly just now when I noticed there is only one testicle. Up until now there have been two developing. Online searches resulted in seeing some posts about dogs who only developed one, but Bruce had two yesterday! I have a vet appointment this coming Thursday, but I am not sure if this is something I need to rush to the vet about tomorrow morning. Bruce does not seem to be in any pain, but, I just found this to be very strange!!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    - Caitlin & Bruce
    Had the exact same issue (one day it was there and then it wasn't) and this is NO BIG DEAL at all. Definitely not something you need to rush to the vet for or stress about. He just retracted one of the testicles back up. If you palpate around the area you will generally find it in the fatty area in the groin. Sometimes the vet can massage it back into place. It's really only an issue if you were planning on using him as a stud or not neutering him. If it's high up in the abdomen (which I don't think it is considering it was just there and has already passed through the inguinal rings which close around 4 months of age) the neutering process is a bit more difficult -- otherwise no biggie. You can find more info by researching cryptorchidism, but this isn't necessarily a cryptorchid testicle since it likely just temporarily retracted and very well might drop back down on it's own.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mackbob View Post
    Had the exact same issue (one day it was there and then it wasn't) and this is NO BIG DEAL at all. Definitely not something you need to rush to the vet for or stress about. He just retracted one of the testicles back up. If you palpate around the area you will generally find it in the fatty area in the groin. Sometimes the vet can massage it back into place. It's really only an issue if you were planning on using him as a stud or not neutering him. If it's high up in the abdomen (which I don't think it is considering it was just there and has already passed through the inguinal rings which close around 4 months of age) the neutering process is a bit more difficult -- otherwise no biggie. You can find more info by researching cryptorchidism, but this isn't necessarily a cryptorchid testicle since it likely just temporarily retracted and very well might drop back down on it's own.

^^
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads