Salivating heavily and sluggish

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop, 4 yrs old, started salivating this afternoon, thin like water. He has soaked his couch cover where his head rests and little puddles when he stands in the kitchen. I also noticed his poo is just tad loose, like pudding. I don't think he's eaten anything new. He's not his happy rambunctious self tonight. There are no foreign objects in his mouth. Any thoughts?

SPChildsBulldogs

Nov 4, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy (8) Ozzy (7) and their daughter Lucy (4)
Are his teeth ok, none that look red or sore. Or no lumps in his mouth either. I heard tumors in their mouth can cause this too

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He either has a tummy ache or he is in pain. Watch him closely, and if he gets worse or is not better by in the morning, a quick trip to the vet is in order. I hope it's just a tummy ache and it passes soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with David.... Good chance upset tummy or some pain. Hope he feels better soon, keep us posted

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks for the advice. I am holding back on his treats tonight. I hope it's just a belly ache.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Polly, I'm so sorry you're going through this worry with Porkchop, I hope it isn't something serious and he's feeling better soon. I agree with others that it may be that he is either in pain or he might have an upset tummy. Excessive drooling can be a sign of pain, or Infection in the mouth. Have you checked his mouth for any redness of the gums, any accesses or pus areas on the gums?, or have you checked his teeth for any possible fractured or decayed teeth? Could he maybe have eaten something that you're not aware of?, like a piece of a toy or other object? Excessive drooling of water from the mouth is also a sign of an obstruction along with diarrhea or vomiting. My Dozer has swallowed sweat socks on 4 different occasions and has shown these signs before throwing them up or pooping them out. Keep an eye on him and check his food for any foreign objects for the next week or two, it can take anywhere from a week to a month for them to pass things that they've swallowed.

Home Dog Illness Symptoms Dog Drooling

Excessive Dog Drooling

A dog who is drooling excessively is not normal (although some dogs do drool a lot more than others!) If a dog suddenly drools excessively, it is usually a sign indicating that he is in pain or injured. For example, there may be something stuck inside his mouth, or he has a broken tooth. However, it may also mean that he is suffering from some health problem. This page looks at some common causes of excessive drooling in dogs.

It is true that all dogs drool - especially when there is yummy food in front of them. Some breeds that have heavy lips such as bloodhounds and St. Bernards drool quite a lot because the loose skin around their mouths acts like a receptacle that traps saliva until it overflows.
If your dog drools and slobbers, there is nothing you can do except put some wiping towels at convenient locations through the house.

However, if there is a change in the "drooling pattern" of your dog (e.g. a normally "dry" dog suddenly starts drooling excessively), then you have to pay attention. Sudden excessive drooling usually means that the dog is not feeling too well. In extreme cases, excessive drooling can also lead to dehydration. Dogs with abnormal drooling may also show signs such as hard and listless breathing, head shaking, and scratching and pawing at the mouth.

Causes of Excessive Dog Drooling - In the Mouth

The cause of excessive drooling may be easy to identify if it is coming from inside the dog's mouth. If your dog is drooling abnormally, therefore, the first thing to do is to use a flashlight to examine his mouth. You may discover that the drooling is caused by any of the following:

Foreign Objects

Perhaps the most common cause of drooling in dogs is that something is stuck in the dog's gums, embedded in his tongue, or caught between his teeth. It may be a piece of string, a bit of bone fragment, a fish hook, etc. If you find a foreign object in your dog's mouth but are unable to remove it, seek veterinary help immediately.

Gum or Dental Disease

Dogs with gum disease such as tartar and gingivitis, as well as dogs with dental problems such as a bad or fractured tooth will also drool excessively.
One way to check if your dog has gum or dental disease is to smell his breath. Usually dogs with gum disease or a bacterial infection in the mouth will have really bad breath!

Injuries

Injuries inside the mouth can also cause excessive dog drooling. Check for blood in the mouth and gums. Bleeding gums usually are bright red or even purple.

Tumors

Tumors that occur in a dog's mouth (e.g. melanoma) can cause a dog to drool excessively. There are of course other signs that indicate the dog may have a tumor in his mouth, such as bad breath, bleeding from the mouth, and difficulty eating.
Other Causes

If you cannot find anything unusual in your dog's mouth, consider the following possible causes of drooling:

Nausea

Many dogs will drool more than usual when they are traveling by car, because they suffer from motion sickness. The motion upsets their stomachs, causing them nausea which in turn causes them to drool excessively.

Pain

Dogs drool when they have pain. There are many reasons why a dog is in pain; for example, bloating, poisoning, infections such as ear infections or urinary tract infections, just to name a few. If you suspect that your dog is drooling because of pain, check for other telltale signs that may confirm your dog is in fact in pain.

Liver disease

Dogs suffering from liver disease may also drool excessively. Liver disease is a serious health condition and should be treated by a veterinarian without delay.

Rabies

Perhaps the most serious and scariest cause of sudden excessive drooling is rabies. Luckily, this is very rare.

When to See a Vet Immediately

You should get immediate veterinary assistance when:
you cannot remove a foreign object from the dog's mouth;
you have reason to believe that your dog is drooling because of pain or poisoning;
your dog has a broken or fractured tooth;
you can see pus in the dog's mouth;
your dog's mouth is bleeding which cannot be stopped;
your dog's breath smells really awful.