brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Does anyone have to constantly have eyes on your bulldogs?? I feel like if I even turn my back for one second, either one or both of them are into trouble. I feel like I have toddlers all over again. What have you done to resolve this? My labs can be left unsupervised all day if need be and I can't even go into the bathroom for a quick second without Brutus eating the living room rug or Frankie stealing something and streaking around the house with his trophy :ohmy: So what do I do about this??? I need expert opinions......

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I have to keep my eye on Walter CONSTANTLY… he's either getting into something or driving Roxie bonkers!!! Of course, he's still a baby…
I will tell you this, it DOES get better… our Bella was 5 before she died, and towards the last couple of years she calmed down quite a bit. And believe me SHE was a handful as well…

Here's what I do w/Wally, he LOVES that varsity ball and it wears his little butt out. If I need him worn out so he doesn't get into something I let him have about 15-20min w/that ball… he DONE for at least a little bit. When they are worn out they don't get in as much trouble. Maybe if you get them playing hard outside or go for a walk at least a couple of times a day they will give you a break. I honestly DREAD this winter, because I let Wally go nuts outside. I'm not sure how he's going to handle it indoors for months at a time… Ugh!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] Well, Rosalie, I have found that these guys are the least "trustworthy" other than Siberian Huskies! Mine do pretty well-as long as I don't forget something on
the floor-like my slippers,etc. I got this really nice Native American rug-it had fringe on it. In my head, I knew that I was doing the wrong thing. Lo and behold,
when I came home from work-the corner of the rug was chewed! I had to tuck all the fringe under. They are getting better-but some days are good, some not! If I had kids, who left things around I am sure they would get into more stuff. One of the dog beds had foam rubber in it. One day I came home to an enormous snowstorm in the house! I should have taken a picture, but I was too angry to think of it. Then worried about how much they ate! All was okay. I really think that it takes alot longer for Bullies to mature, than other breeds. And maybe they are knomes in doggie suits!! I used to have to take them in the bathroom with me! Now at least I can go it alone.
You know you are never supposed to give up hope. Like [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] just duct tape it and go on!! :lol:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Rosalie, I have the same problem with my guys, I can't leave them alone for a second either. They will try to eat anything in sight. I either use a baby gate when I have to leave the room, and make sure the room is puppy proofed, or if I go out I have to crate them. I don't know if they outgrow this but mine are almost 3 years old, and still act like Bully Goats.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] All Wally needs is a snowsuit and Varsity ball. Voila!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have to say, we have been very very lucky.... all three of ours never got into anything that they should not have, and Cheli follows me everywhere so I do not have to worry about him (Nitshcke was the same) -- Banks, well, she just doesn't care enough, unless it is a pile of dirt, then she is all in as soon as I turn my back

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Once ruckus grew out of his chew-all-mom's-nice-things phase he is ok alone. He'll nap or hew on an antler. He does have his moments...if the house is too quiet and I know he isn't asleep I go looking for him. Then again sometimes he's a stinker even when I am looking...a few nights ago he ran under the kitchen table, grabbed one of my slippers right off my foot and proceeded to run around with it. He leaves shoes alone now unless they are slippers. I'm not sure what it is that he likes so much about them. Welcome to life with bulldogs!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] your post made me laugh, I will admit Bazza has improved but sometimes (like I used to do when my kids were small) I can't see him or hear him, so yell "anyone know where Bazza is" and go on a mad panic to find him, quickly. He loves the kids room, as it is full of junk, he knows he is not allowed in there, my reliable kids always leave it open so he sneaks in, chews on something he shouldn't. It all fun and games ! Life would be boring !

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Haha. Yes, definitely have to watch Chubbs. So far he likes to steal our shoes, ugh! Tearing his pee pads to shreds, even if he's used it, yuck. Chasing the cats. More recently, walking on the coffee table (first time was hilarious) and last night he did what I thought only cats do... played with the toilet paper. It was EVERYWHERE!
On the coffee table: Instagram#

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hi Rosalie, I have the same problem with my guys, I can't leave them alone for a second either. They will try to eat anything in sight. I either use a baby gate when I have to leave the room, and make sure the room is puppy proofed, or if I go out I have to crate them. I don't know if they outgrow this but mine are almost 3 years old, and still act like Bully Goats.

I use baby gates too for the doorways that don't have doors--I love them. I got some metal ones that have a gate that opens and closes so you don't have to step over them. Then I can keep them with me and they can't slip away.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I have to say I don't really worry about either when they're out of sight. They are usually sleeping. Hershey needs a little more monitoring than chum but that's only to make sure he's not outside our fenced in area...

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I have been really lucky. Once Raven was past the 8 month mark I didn't have to worry about her. Not sure what we will get with Tyson.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.