Thread: Using OFF! (the brand)?

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs W.C.
    Likes (Received)

Default Using OFF! (the brand)?

I know most of the gang on here uses Frontline, Advantix or something similar. However, I was wondering about using the brand OFF. My in-laws have 2 golden retrievers & they've used it on them for for years. Not once have they had any flea or tick issues. Yea, I know... completely different dog but it got me thinking. Thoughts? Mosquito repellent & mosquito repeller, protect from insects or ticks | OFF!® Insect Repellents

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Using OFF! (the brand)?

I'll be afraid they might lick it off because unlike spot-ons where you just put a few drops on their napes and backs, OFF products you have to spray or apply all over their body. Maybe if you apply it on places where he can't reach it?

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The chemicals in OFF can make people and dogs very sick if ingested. We use a homemade repellent that works great along with Sentinel. We steep 6 halved lemons and lavender together for about 2 hours and let it cool. Once cooled we strain it into a spray bottle and thats it. The mixture in the bottle is good for about 10 days before it starts to get nasty. Just spray it on and it keeps bugs away.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs W.C.
    Likes (Received)

@dieMuttivonBifi @Marine91 Okay, thanks.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I totally agree with Todd, Off contains DEET which is toxic for people, pets and the environment, plus dogs lick themselves and can ingest it as well. There are many good year round treatments, we use Recolution with great results and no side effects, and as Todd mentioned tree are many recipes for natural repellents that you can make at home using lemon, herbs and essential oils.

Wellness Mama Essential Oil Bug Spray

Wellness Mama Bug Spray Ingredients:

Essential oils: choose from Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Cajeput, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Lavender, Mint
    Natural Witch Hazel
    Distilled or boiled Water
    Vegetable glycerin (optional)
    How to Make Homemade Bug Spray:

Fill spray bottle (I used 8 ounce) 1/2 full with distilled or boiled water
    Add witch hazel to fill almost to the top
    Add 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin if using
    Add 30-50 drops of essential oils to desired scent. The more oils you use, the stronger the spray will be. My personal favorite mix is: Rosemary, Clove, Cajeput, Lavender, Cinnamon and Eucalyptus… it works great and smells good too!
    Make Bug Spray From Dried or Fresh Herbs

Fresh or Dried Herbs Bug Spray Ingredients:

Distilled water
    Witch hazel or rubbing alcohol
    Dried herbs: peppermint, spearmint, citronella, lemongrass, catnip, lavender, etc. I recommend using at least one herb from the mint family.
    How to Make Bug Spray From Fresh or Dried Herbs:

Boil 1 cup of water and add 3-4 TBSP of dried herbs total in any combination from the above. I use 1 TBSP each of peppermint, spearmint, catnip and lavender, and also throw in a couple of dried cloves.
    Mix well, cover and let cool (covering is important to keep the volatile oils in!)
    Strain herbs out and mix water with 1 cup of witch hazel or rubbing alcohol. Store in a spray bottle in a cool place (fridge is great because then its nice and cool!)
    Use as needed. Added bonus: it smells great and is very refreshing to the skin!
    Super Strong Insect Repellent Recipe

Fair warning: this stuff stinks when it is wet, though the smell disappears as it dries. It works incredibly well though, and this is the one I use when I’m going to be in the woods or in tick infested areas. It is based on a recipe that was supposedly used by thieves during the Black Plague to keep from getting sick. They used it internally and externally to avoid catching the disease and to keep the flies and other pests away. According to legend, it worked and they survived… but it definitely makes a great insect repellent these days! Its also very inexpensive to make and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen!

Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent Ingredients:

1 32 ounce bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar
    2 TBSP each of dried Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme and Mint
    At least quart size glass jar with airtight lid
    How to Make the Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent:

Put the vinegar and dried herbs into large glass jar.
    Seal tightly and store on counter or place you will see it daily. Shake well each day for 2-3 weeks.
    After 2-3 weeks, strain the herbs out and store in spray bottles or tincture bottles, preferably in fridge.
    To use on skin, dilute to half with water in a spray bottle and use as needed.
    Use whenever you need serious bug control!
    [Note: This mixture is very strong and has antiviral and antibacterial properties. It can also be used as a tincture for any illness. For adults, dose is 1 TBSP in water several times a day,for kids over 2, dose is 1 tsp in water several times a day. More on this in an upcoming post!]

Other Simple Insect Repelling Ideas:

Add vanilla extract to either of the above recipes, or just rub on the skin. You can also mix vanilla with witch hazel and water for a spray version.
    Rub lavender flowers or lavender oil on your skin, especially on hot parts of body (neck, underarms, behind ears, etc) to repel insects.
    Rub fresh or dried leaves of anything in the mint family all over skin to repel insects (peppermint, spearmint, catnip, pennyroyal, etc or citronella, lemongrass, etc) Basil is also said to repel mosquitoes and I’ve used fresh basil leaves in the garden with great success before!
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs W.C.
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Vikinggirl;552605]Hi, I totally agree with Todd, Off contains DEET which is toxic for people, pets and the environment, plus dogs lick themselves and can ingest it as well. There are many food year round treatments, we use Recolution with great results and no side effects, and as Todd mentioned tree are many recipes for natural repellents that you can make at home using lemon, herbs and essential oils.

Thanks for the recipes! I found another one on pintrest: Homemade Flea Powder | Primally Inspired
    -homemade-flea-powder-primally-inspired-jpg

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Your welcome, I always like and try to use as many natural products and remedies as possible, to avoid chemicals that could be toxic
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Remove Ads