Allergies

Bailie

May 10, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I have a 16 month old female bulldog who I believe has allergies on her chin. It is really red and a couple spots have blisters and they bleed. Has anyone else experienced this? Last summer she had the same thing and I took her to the vet and they thought is was her food so had to switch to prescription dog food. Eventually, I had to take her off the prescription food as it was so expensive. She is on Royal Canin and has been for at least 6 mos. Anyway, once the weather started to warm up and the pollen came along, the chin is broken out again. She rolls in the grass whenever I take her out. Trying to avoid the vet again, anyone know of over the counter medicine that would clear this up. I feel bad for her.

Brenda

Attachments

• Sweet Boy.jpg
    Sweet Boy.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 134

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
It is only on her chin? Does she rub her chin anywhere?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 111

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I read somewhere that plastic food and water bowls do that to English Bulldogs. Not sure if it's sure but the article said to only use stainless steal bowls to prevent that.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
I read somewhere that plastic food and water bowls do that to English Bulldogs. Not sure if it's sure but the article said to only use stainless steal bowls to prevent that.

This is true, which was going to be my next question...stainless or even ceramic bowls is the only way to go. Also wash them once a day at least.

Has your baby been drinking more water lately? You could also be developing yeast if they "dunk" their chin in the water bowl. Try drying the chin off after they get a drink as much as you can, it may not always be possible for you to do this, but even some of the time could help.

OP
B

Bailie

May 10, 2010

I only use a glass bowl with her. The vet said that could cause it too when she had it last year so I switched.

OP
B

Bailie

May 10, 2010
She isn't drinking any more than normal and if I am home I do wipe it.

OP
B

Bailie

May 10, 2010
Yes , it is only on her chin. It looks terrible and it bleeds so I am sure it hurts. I feel so bad for her. I think she rubs her chin on the grass outside.

Attachments

• IMG_6418.jpg
    IMG_6418.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 114

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is there any possible way you can keep her away from the grass for a couple of weeks to see if it gets better? She could very well be allergic to grass!

Did you not have grass in the winter where you live (so then her chin cleared up)?

Attachments

• IMG_20130904_223845-1.jpg
    IMG_20130904_223845-1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 115

Mugzilla

Mar 24, 2010
southern bell
Bulldog(s) Names
www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
does this happen only during certain seasons (like the pollen season, etc) or does it also happen during other times?

the stainless bowl is a good suggestion, as is trying to keep her off of grass for a few weeks.

i wanted to let you know that although royal canine says they have that specific brand made just for english bulldogs, it is not a very good diet for them and is full of ingredience many eb's are allergic to. if you can afford grain free canidae, or even wellness or innova, i would recommend those above royal canine. a change to a grain free and healthier diet may help.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
does this happen only during certain seasons (like the pollen season, etc) or does it also happen during other times?

the stainless bowl is a good suggestion, as is trying to keep her off of grass for a few weeks.

i wanted to let you know that although royal canine says they have that specific brand made just for english bulldogs, it is not a very good diet for them and is full of ingredience many eb's are allergic to. if you can afford grain free canidae, or even wellness or innova, i would recommend those above royal canine. a change to a grain free and healthier diet may help.

Unfortunately Innova has been bought by Proctor & Gamble.... so I would not go for those as they may soon be just as good as grocery store food.

Yeah, we tried Royal Canine and was not too impressed with the results compared to Canidae....

Mugzilla

Mar 24, 2010
southern bell
Bulldog(s) Names
www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
good to know about innova. i've never personally used them, but had read ingredients. i didn't realized they'd been bought.

canidae is good food. my dogs would be happy with it, but my tilly jo needs a little extra, which is why we go with canine caviar. and it's as expensive as it sounds! lol. mostly so bc my speciality store has to special order it and it costs her, which runs downhill ;)

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 116

Zenscarboncopy

Apr 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Zen Kingston
Zen also get the red bumps on his chin, along with them bursting and bleeding. His are ingrown hairs, almost like a pimple. we do chin inspections every few days and make sure that he isn't getting new ones and if he is, we pop them (as gross as that sounds) before they get to the point of him rubbing them somewhere because they hurt.

Fridavito

May 18, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Frida and Vito
Hi, my female had this problem. I used stridex alcohol free pads and kept dry until it cleared up. Now I just make sure to wipe her mouth clean after meals and keep it dry after she drinks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 120

corina

Feb 15, 2010
my one year old has the same thing and he rubs his face and drags it across the carpet. he is also on royal canin witch i thought was a really good dog food, he also keeps getting yeast infections in his nose wrinkle and i cant clear it. i took him to the vet and they said he didn't look like a bulldog with allergies.:mad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 104

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
did he give you animax creme for his wrinkle? Works wonders!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online