Crating during the work day

maggiesdaddy

Nov 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Mae
New EB owner. I will be crating my Maggie Mae during the day while I'm off at work. Great thing is I go in at 4, 5, and 6 am on most mornings and am back 2, 3, and 4 pm. My wife leaves for work at 7:30am and back at 5:3m. So Maggie doesn't have to stay crated that long during the week. My question is, do you leave water in the crate while crating? I don't at night when it's bedtime, but during the day?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
We give Ruckus free roam of the house now that he has outgrown (for the most part) his chewing. However, when he is crated he knocks over water bowls, so I got him a water bottle -- think giant gerbil water bottle, but a glass one not plastic -- and he loves to drink out of it. Definitely leave water whatever you do.

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Nope. But mine is only in the crate for 5 hours because I come home for lunch. She gets to go out and go potty....get a drink if she wants, but she rarely does drink during her break.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
NEVER EVER restrict water from your bullies, especially pups. We crate ours when we are gone, and at night when we go to sleep. Use a lick bottle that hangs on the side of the crate, they will learn to drink from them and don't make a big mess. Here is a sample pic of one.

Water bottle.jpg

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
New EB owner. I will be crating my Maggie Mae during the day while I'm off at work. Great thing is I go in at 4, 5, and 6 am on most mornings and am back 2, 3, and 4 pm. My wife leaves for work at 7:30am and back at 5:3m. So Maggie doesn't have to stay crated that long during the week. My question is, do you leave water in the crate while crating? I don't at night when it's bedtime, but during the day?

We crated Goob when we were at work and he always had water available with a lix-it bottle. He had a pee pad inside his crate in the beginning just in case but then, we removed it when we saw that he could hold his bladder the whole time.

If you crate him when you leave for work I would suggest that your wife let's him out to potty before she goes to work (just in case). Then you take him out when you get home from work.

This is what we did with Goob when he was small:
10:00pm-Dinner
11:00-11:30pm-Potty (pee and poop) then go inside crate to sleep...we wouldn't crate him until he pooped
6:00-7:00am- Let him out of the crate to eat...pee...poop and play while I got ready for work, sometimes we had time for a walk
7:15-crate for work
12:30-home from work and Goob was free for the rest of the evening!!!!

Hope this helps!!IMAG1426-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0966.jpg
    IMAG0966.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 131

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
I leave water all the time for my Yogi when he's crated. Unfortunately I've noticed that when I have to crate him during the day that he's really wild and destructive at night so I try to take him to work with me when I can.

Most Reactions