I have a new foster…and some questions

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I picked up our first foster last night. He is 18 months old. The original owner stated he was crate trained, but he wants no part of the crate. He cries and barks and tries to dig his way out. Any suggestions? Should I let him cry it out? I tried keeping it covered and uncovered. Neither way worked. I stayed up with him all night in the family room. He barely slept. His breathing is horrible, his nostrils are so narrow, I think he can't get comfortable. Please help a very tired foster momma [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members that have had fosters in their homes so they may ave some advice..... but it seems he is really stressed over the change. Maybe you can gate him in a room, like a laundry room, kitchen or bathroom for a few days... let him settle in a bit?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Change is the worst for dogs awaiting adoption. Even if he was previously crate trained....he may have regressed due to being out of his comfort zone. I would reintroduce the crate like you do for a puppy. Make it a happy comfortable place and stick to a routine. He needs a routine he can count on right now. Sometimes you do have to let them cry it out....but just start from ground zero like he is a baby pup.

good luck and thank you so much for opening your home to a foster dog :heart:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maybe the poor fella' was crate trained by being kept in a crate all the time, and now he wants no part of it. If he has breathing problems and gets so stressed out, as [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] suggested, I would see if you have somewhere that you can gate him-laundry room, kitchen? [MENTION=9684]MyStellaBully[/MENTION] it is great of you to foster the poor baby.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I wouldnt let him cry it out if he is really stressed. I agree maybe you should let him get used to your home first. My rescue baby was crated all the time, and did the same thing as far as crying and digging. we kept him gated in the kitchen and only had him sleep in his crate or if we werent home. Now he sleeps on the couch every night, a priviledge he has earned. I would limit his crate time as much as you can.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree with the above advice. Poor guy is probably confused and stressed. You could also try crating him in your bedroom at night. Bulldogs love to be around their people.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said, he needs to adjust to his new surroundings. Try feeding him in the crate with the door open, and put him in the crate for a few time day at short intervals, giving him a treat every time he goes in. He will get used to to.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.