End of life question

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I'm dealing with end of life issues with Jelly...I'm so scared about having to make a decision to have her put to sleep. She'll be 12 Feb. 12. She's got arthritis and at this point only walks when she has to. She spends most of her time sleeping. Yes, she's on lots of different meds...I really believe we've tried everything we can to help her.
My question is how do must bulldogs die? Do they have to be put to sleep or do they die in their sleep? I know that sounds crazy, but it would be so much easier if I didn't have to make this decision. I pray every night that she will just die in her sleep. :*(
Please don't think badly of me, I love her more than anything.
Cindy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hug: I do not think there is a common way of passing for them. When my boy passed he was 7 yrs old and had one very bad day, his heart slowly gave out through out the day, he was sick in the AM and past that evening. Others have posted saying they found them passed when they got home, while others passed due to surgical complications.

it is not uncommon for a bullies her age to sleep 18 to 20 hours a day.

i tagged a few few members I know have experience with a loss of a bulldog

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby… I lost two of my bulldogs in surgery, and one I had to put to sleep. I'm not sure I can answer your question as to how bulldogs normally pass on, I would have to assume that most die on their own. You will know in your heart when it's time… when they are having issues doing normal everyday things like eating, walking and going potty. Then you have to ask yourself the hard question… is it the right time?!!

Nobody on here is going to judge you at all for this… you always want your babies to pass peacefully on their own. I'm sending you lots of hugs and prayers, I know how difficult this is for you :(

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
:( I am so sorry you are facing this horrible situation. I've been there myself.

My bully Linus had really started to age and, after a few trips to the vet to diagnose some congestion, I realized that Linus' heart was giving out on him.

As the time machine has not been invented yet, there was little we could do although some vets would have you believe otherwise. When it became clear Linus was dying, I decided that was his last trip to the vet.

We had to scale WAY back on activity and Linus got tired so easy. He didn't eat as much as he used to. He wasn't the robust 82 lb king of a bully had he'd been in his prime yet each day, he managed to find a toy in his toy box or get on the couch one last time to cuddle with me.

As I approached my 9th month of pregnancy, I saw him fading further away. One night, I put him to bed as I had hundreds of time before - I gave him a treat. He chased our cat for a minute, and shuffled off to bed. We found him the next morning in his cage. He had passed in he night. He was so beautiful and peaceful.

I think losing a bully is a horrifying loss under any circumstances. But Linus' final gift to us was not having to make a decision about his life or his death. For that I am grateful.

I knew he was dying yet I never said the words to anyone. Not on the board. Not to my husband. Not to my vet. I had to rely on he unspoken bond that I had with my best friend. To know when to save and to know when to let nature take it's course. I suspect you and Jelly have a similar bond. Spend time with her. Use your instincts that you've developed over the past 12 years of love and friendship and let those lead you to your decision and trust yourself. If you do that, you cannot go wrong.

I am so sorry...I know how bad it hurts! :assurred:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
So many of us have gone through this. There is no single way, but it will be painful however it happens. Know that you have a great amount of support here, no matter what happens.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I don't have any experience with this as yet, my brats are three and three months. I am sending you prayers for guidance as this is one of the hardest things you will have to do. Praying that your best friend passes peacefully in her sleep so that you are spared making such a hard decision on top of the loss. Sending you a big hug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry you have to make that decision, but when the time comes, you will know. The thing to remember is, it's about them, not us. We don't want to loose them, but we also don't want to prolong their pain. We had to put our little Beagle down this year, she was 14 years old. She had her good days and bad ones, and was getting worse, so we knew it was time, because she would sometimes just scream with pain for no apparent reason. I didn't want her to suffer any longer, plus I didn't want her to go alone, when no one was home, so I took her to the vet, and held her the whole time, until she was gone. So search deep into your heart and you will know what is best for her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=2062]love jelly[/MENTION] You and Jelly have a close bond. I know how much you love her. I have had it both ways. Some times I have had to make the dreaded decision, and sometimes
they just left on their own. When the time comes-if you have to make the decision, Jelly will tell you. You will see it in her eyes,that she is telling you she is ready to go
to the Rainbow Bridge. It is never easy to make that call, but hold her and love her so that she will be in your loving arms. Do not feel guilt when you make that decision, as she will let you know when, and she will be out of pain, and at peace. You will be in painful grief, but knowing that you have done the best for her.After all the good years she gave you,you will give her a gift of no more suffering. Look at her eyes, and you will know when it is time.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So very sorry Jelly's time is almost here...always heartwrenching
to let go :( For me, facing this time with them and possibly, the decision
to put them to sleep is a major responsibility of having a pet. They generally
go before us so we must deal with it but remember, it is an act of kindness,
of love & respect for them, if needed to be done, we MUST rise to the task.
It is the final unselfish act done for them, we'll ever do.

My 16 yr old cat, CoCo, was senile and getting lost in our home she'd lived in
all her life. She'd cry from fear & confusion and lay in her litter box. Finally I knew
I had to help her go and yes, it was very, very hard making that decision BUT the
right one. That was last January, my birthday month :( I know she rest in GOD's
lap and waits for me. Will lift you up to GOD's heart and ask HIM to fill your heart
with comfort & peace...what joy & blessing to have Jelly so many years...it's NEVER
enough. May GOD be with you & yours <3

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I've had to have two of my bulldogs put to sleep. Both times they had shown signs of loosing their quality of life. Stiff all the time, loss of vision, loss of bodily functions, neither was really enjoying life anymore. It always breaks your heart but I made the decision for them and had them put to sleep.

My thoughts are with you either way. It's never easy to say goodbye.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby… I lost two of my bulldogs in surgery, and one I had to put to sleep. I'm not sure I can answer your question as to how bulldogs normally pass on, I would have to assume that most die on their own. You will know in your heart when it's time… when they are having issues doing normal everyday things like eating, walking and going potty. Then you have to ask yourself the hard question… is it the right time?!!

Nobody on here is going to judge you at all for this… you always want your babies to pass peacefully on their own. I'm sending you lots of hugs and prayers, I know how difficult this is for you :(

She definitely has a huge problem walking, but she still eats like it's her job. Thanks for sharing.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I've had to have two of my bulldogs put to sleep. Both times they had shown signs of loosing their quality of life. Stiff all the time, loss of vision, loss of bodily functions, neither was really enjoying life anymore. It always breaks your heart but I made the decision for them and had them put to sleep.

My thoughts are with you either way. It's never easy to say goodbye.

It's very hard for me to figure out if she's still enjoying life, her quality of life is terrible, she barely walks, on the other hand, she seems happy to see anyone who comes near her, and still eats like a champ, her walking consists of walking to her food bowl and outside to potty, she doesn't walk around outside like she used to, she does her thing and turns around and comes back inside.....she sleeps MOST of the time. Hearing other people's experiences helps...thanks.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@love jelly Personally, if she were my dog, and she can still walk to her food bowl,and outside to potty, shows happiness when someone goes to her, and she is still eating, I would not let her go yet.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
@love jelly Personally, if she were my dog, and she can still walk to her food bowl,and outside to potty, shows happiness when someone goes to her, and she is still eating, I would not let her go yet.

I agree...it's the night time that kills me sometimes; she wakes me up panting so hard. I always get out of bed and sit on the floor by her bed and pet her, but my heart breaks, I wish I knew if that was pain she's feeling. She wakes up like this several times a night. I'm not ready to let her go, but I keep wondering when I'm crossing that line....that line where I'm being selfish and maybe not doing what is best for her. Also, her walking outside or to her bowl is not like a healthy dog...she limps and is very very slow.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with end of life issues. I truly appreciate it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.