Did you buy or adopt your bully? Tell me your story, please....

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
I adopted Gypsy (my first dog ever!) from my local bulldog Rescue in May 2013. It was the best decision I ever made!

Gypsy was used for breeding but when she couldnā€™t breed any longer, she ended up in a shelter and was picked up by the local rescue. While in rescue she had umbilical hernia surgery, her tail amputated and she was fixed.

For me, the rescue process was easy and simple. I filled out the application, had the home check and was given info on a few dogs they thought were a good fit. I picked Gypsy, met her and fell in love!

She is relatively healthy but I think she has environmental allergies. Her front paws are swollen in between her toes but I firmly believe she is allergic to grass. She doesnā€™t have interdigital cysts and Iā€™ve changed her diet but the swelling seems permanent. She has had 2 ear infections but when it flares up, I give her antibiotics for 10 days and sheā€™s good to go.

Sheā€™s not super affectionate but that has improved over time. She HATES water so it bums me out that her past life still haunts her.

She has no behavior issues. I was a very naĆÆve dog owner. I put baby gates on two bedrooms that I didnā€™t want her in but other than that she was free to roam anywhere in the house and backyard. Sheā€™s home alone during the day and sheā€™s never chewed on anything she shouldnā€™t.

I donā€™t really believe in crateing a dog so I was glad it wasnā€™t necessary with Gypsy. She has dog beds in the living room and my bedroom. Sheā€™s never chewed those and she sleeps in both with no issues.

From day 1, sheā€™s been housebroken. I only recall her having a couple accidents in the house at the beginning and since I donā€™t have wall to wall carpeting, it wasnā€™t a big deal to clean up.

Iā€™m not sure if I just lucked out with a good rescue dog or not but I wouldnā€™t trade my experience for anything! I believe she knows she was ā€œrescuedā€ and is very comfortable with me and her new home!

In my opinion, the rescues get a bad rap for some of their requirements (i.e. having a fenced backyard, not adopting out of a certain area, etc.). If you canā€™t abide by or donā€™t like their requirements, donā€™t start the process because it probably wonā€™t be a positive experience.

In total honesty, my dream is to have 5 or 6 senior bulldogs all from the rescue!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I adopted my girl Pork Chop. We met at the rescue walk event Nov 2013 . The organization post her pic and available for adoption. She is the BEST birthday and Christmas gift ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I bought Rocco because I wanted to do the whole puppy thing (enough of that lol) in the future, I would definitely rescue

Tuneybuster

Oct 7, 2014
I have 2. Both are rescues. Petunia (Tuney) she is 5 now. We adopted her 2 yrs ago. She is a sweetheart. She was a baby maker that was kept in a garage caged for her first 3 yrs. she was surrendered to the rescue after something went wrong with her last litter and she had to have an emergency hysterectomy. She doesn't fully understand how to play she thinks it is serious! But being that she was our first bully getting to know the breed with her was a gift. Our second was Buster. He was just under 2 yrs old when we adopted him. He became too much for his previous family... not sure what that meant. He is 3 now. They are complete opposites. He is all about play. A big kid! He is a sweetheart. Puppies are adorable but I would never go that route again. Changing a life for a displaced dog is just so rewarding. Seeing Tuney "play" warms my heart.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.