Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you buy or adopt your bully? Tell me your story, please....

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Did you buy or adopt your bully? Tell me your story, please....

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post

So based solely on my own experience, buying vs rescue means nothing. You still can't guarantee a healthy, well adjusted bulldog just because he comes for a breeder. Just like bulldogs that were given up, are rarely given up due to behavioral issues. More like craptastic owners that just don't want them anymore. Usually for lame reasons.
    Agree 100%!

Both my Bulldogs were purchased and have a long list of issues both bulldog related and just plain behavior related. My Frenchie, Cheli is adopted after an owver surrender... he had some health issues, but is now a happy and healthy little 'GNAT'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

We bought our first bulldog from a breeder, then we bred her and got our second/third bully from the litter. The ONLY reason we bought our last bully is because our boxer seemed to tolerate puppies better than older dogs. I would love to adopt next time, I'm worn out from all the puppyness… Lol But I agree w/the gang, just because you purchase a dog does NOT mean you will be free from issues. I almost think that past three most dogs have been neutered/spayed and most issues w/them have been addressed. That would be a nice change for our family…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

We bought our first Bulldog Brutus and he is the love of my life. He has health issues and food aggression but I love him to death. We rescued our second bulldog Frankie when he was 2 1/2 yrs old. He was purchased from a pet store. He has no issues whatsoever. He had some behavior issues when he first came to us because his previous owners did not know how to take care of or train a bulldog. He is now the sweetest, most loving little man ever. I will from now on only rescue because the amount of love and the look of gratitude we see in Frankie is like no other feeling I have ever felt. We rescued him on December 22, 2013 and one day around his 3rd birthday in June 2014, I actually saw him physically relax and accept that he was finally home with people who love him. Jezz, now I'm crying...oh well, I would advocate adoption/rescue all day long.
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

I adopted Gypsy (my first dog ever!) from my local bulldog Rescue in May 2013. It was the best decision I ever made!

Gypsy was used for breeding but when she couldn’t breed any longer, she ended up in a shelter and was picked up by the local rescue. While in rescue she had umbilical hernia surgery, her tail amputated and she was fixed.

For me, the rescue process was easy and simple. I filled out the application, had the home check and was given info on a few dogs they thought were a good fit. I picked Gypsy, met her and fell in love!

She is relatively healthy but I think she has environmental allergies. Her front paws are swollen in between her toes but I firmly believe she is allergic to grass. She doesn’t have interdigital cysts and I’ve changed her diet but the swelling seems permanent. She has had 2 ear infections but when it flares up, I give her antibiotics for 10 days and she’s good to go.

She’s not super affectionate but that has improved over time. She HATES water so it bums me out that her past life still haunts her.

She has no behavior issues. I was a very naïve dog owner. I put baby gates on two bedrooms that I didn’t want her in but other than that she was free to roam anywhere in the house and backyard. She’s home alone during the day and she’s never chewed on anything she shouldn’t.

I don’t really believe in crateing a dog so I was glad it wasn’t necessary with Gypsy. She has dog beds in the living room and my bedroom. She’s never chewed those and she sleeps in both with no issues.

From day 1, she’s been housebroken. I only recall her having a couple accidents in the house at the beginning and since I don’t have wall to wall carpeting, it wasn’t a big deal to clean up.

I’m not sure if I just lucked out with a good rescue dog or not but I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything! I believe she knows she was “rescued” and is very comfortable with me and her new home!

In my opinion, the rescues get a bad rap for some of their requirements (i.e. having a fenced backyard, not adopting out of a certain area, etc.). If you can’t abide by or don’t like their requirements, don’t start the process because it probably won’t be a positive experience.

In total honesty, my dream is to have 5 or 6 senior bulldogs all from the rescue!

Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

I adopted my girl Pork Chop. We met at the rescue walk event Nov 2013 . The organization post her pic and available for adoption. She is the BEST birthday and Christmas gift ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

I bought Rocco because I wanted to do the whole puppy thing (enough of that lol) in the future, I would definitely rescue

I have 2. Both are rescues. Petunia (Tuney) she is 5 now. We adopted her 2 yrs ago. She is a sweetheart. She was a baby maker that was kept in a garage caged for her first 3 yrs. she was surrendered to the rescue after something went wrong with her last litter and she had to have an emergency hysterectomy. She doesn't fully understand how to play she thinks it is serious! But being that she was our first bully getting to know the breed with her was a gift. Our second was Buster. He was just under 2 yrs old when we adopted him. He became too much for his previous family... not sure what that meant. He is 3 now. They are complete opposites. He is all about play. A big kid! He is a sweetheart. Puppies are adorable but I would never go that route again. Changing a life for a displaced dog is just so rewarding. Seeing Tuney "play" warms my heart.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads