Too much water?

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I leave water out so Chubbs has access to it during the day. Then we take it away around 8. Some nights he falls asleep around 8:30. Other nights, like tonight, he's up till midnight & still peeing. So am I giving him too much water? [emoji53] Mind you he'll be 4 months in 1.5 weeks. Thanks in advance.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Our guys are slightly older and have access to water 24/7. All puppies are different, but a puppy can usually only hold his waste for the same number of hours as his age in months. (In other words, a four-month-old pup should not be left alone for more than four consecutive hours without an opportunity to go outside.) He can last longer at night, however, since he’s inactive (just like we can). By the time your pup is about four months old, he should be able to make it through the night without going outside. So Chubbs would be approximatley 3.5 hours. It was about 5 months for Jewel to make it through the night.

If there is increased frequency and the voided amount is only a trickle...one might suspect a UTI.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally agree with Roger, it also took 5 months for our guys to be totally trained. What helped us was to set our cell phone alarm for 2:00 am for a middle of the night potty break. We took them out for their last walk around 10:00 in the evening, and then at 2:00 am, then out at 6:00 or 6:30 am. as it's too long for a puppy to hold their pee from 10:00 pm until the morning. This is like a baby, and is only a temporary phase, once they are 5 or 6 months old, you can eliminate the 2:00 am potty break and they should be able to hold throughout the night.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our guys are slightly older and have access to water 24/7. All puppies are different, but a puppy can usually only hold his waste for the same number of hours as his age in months. (In other words, a four-month-old pup should not be left alone for more than four consecutive hours without an opportunity to go outside.) He can last longer at night, however, since he’s inactive (just like we can). By the time your pup is about four months old, he should be able to make it through the night without going outside. So Chubbs would be approximatley 3.5 hours. It was about 5 months for Jewel to make it through the night.

If there is increased frequency and the voided amount is only a trickle...one might suspect a UTI.

Great info.... :up:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Never ever withhold water from your bully. They should always have fresh clean water available 24/7. People think withholding water from them will make them potty train faster, that is a myth, and doesn't work and can be unhealthy for them. It takes time to potty train and at that age, they can only hold their pee for so long. I would put a towel or something he can pee on in his crate at night. We use cotton washable pee pads for ours. We have found out that they just tear up and play with the paper puppy pads, but pretty much leave these cotton ones alone. You can buy them on the web, just Google "Breeder pads" if you need help with which ones to get if you choose to get some, let me know and I will PM you.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] Sometimes we see if he can hold it the hours suggested, other times we take him out every hour because he drinks so much water... otherwise he'll just go on the floor if we don't take him out. There isn't an increased frequency, his flow is strong.
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] We eliminated the 2 am potty break because we noticed he was passed out. Thought it was better to let him sleep than to wake him up. Is this wrong? [emoji53]
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] So should we put water in his crate? He's been really good & hasn't had an accident in his crate in about 1 month. He likes to tear up his puppy pads as well. We'll look up those pads.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Thanks all for the advice!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You can also buy the cloth/waterproof backing hospital pads in Walmart. I have several of those and that is what I used. No he doesn't need water in his crate at night.:) [MENTION=12912]binxrexchubbs[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=12912]binxrexchubbs[/MENTION] We always leave water in their crates, but we use the lick bottles that hang on the side of the crate so they can drink in their crate when ever they want.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] I'll look into those, thanks! [emoji3] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Gotcha. [emoji3]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.