Drinking Water

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
So about a week and a half ago we started Barkley on a diet (the vet said fatboy needed to lose some weight!). We had been feeding him 1 cup of Fromm in the morning and 1 Stella and Chewy frozen patty at night. So now we are feeding half a stella and chewy patty in the morning and half at night and supplementing with half a cup of veggies.

I noticed that since we changed his diet I don't think he is drinking ANY water out of his water bowl! I've heard when you feed them wet or raw food they may not drink as much since there is more moisture. I also add water to his food and he gets a few ice cubes during the day.

Is this anything I need to be worried about?? I really don't think he's drinking any out of his water bowl...I've still been emptying it and cleaning it everyday and it always seems to have the same amount as when I fill it up. Would the patties, veggies and water mixed in the meals be enough for him to make him not thirsty in between meals?

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Michelle, I feel the same way about my guys. I feel they don't always seem to drink enough water, they have all day access to a pet water cooler, and I always add water to their meals. They will drink when they have come back from a longer walk, or if they've been playing hard. We feed our guys Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, so I'm not familiar with raw or wet food. I'm not sure if they need less water if fed this way, but I tagged Ftse (Julie) for you, as she feeds her bullies a raw diet and maybe she or someone else with more experience with raw feeding can answer your question. I think as long as he has access to fresh water and you are adding it this food, I think he will drink what he needs.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi Michelle, I feel the same way about my guys. I feel they don't always seem to drink enough water, they have all day access to a pet water cooler, and I always add water to their meals. They will drink when they have come back from a longer walk, or if they've been playing hard. We feed our guys Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, so I'm not familiar with raw or wet food. I'm not sure if they need less water if fed this way, but I tagged Ftse (Julie) for you, as she feeds her bullies a raw diet and maybe she or someone else with more experience with raw feeding can answer your question. I think as long as he has access to fresh water and you are adding it this food, I think he will drink what he needs.

Thanks! He's always been kind of stubborn when it comes to drinking water but never like this! He had bladder stones removed earlier this year so I'm always trying to get him to drink more now anyway. I've tried adding broth and milk to his water and he still won't touch it! Hopefully he is just getting what he needs already and isn't thirsty.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When Blue was on Stella & Chewy's he was also drinking much less water but It's normal.

If you want to get him to drink, you can feed him raw and freeze dried patties. You add water to the freeze dried ones so he'll be getting a little extra.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is normal when feeding raw that water intake will lessen as they do not need as much

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My experience too - Castor eats raw and drinks much less than when he was on kibble.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea's food has a high water content so she drink less as well so we just keep an eye one her. Plus for us she is allergic to our tap water so she has her own zero water filter system. Lol

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Buttercup drinks only 1-2 times per day, sometimes not before 7:30 p.m. Her tongue and nose get very dry at times. I change her water after she drinks as she will turn up her nose if there is drool in it. BUT, while on a trip we recently discovered that she will drink from a plastic squeeze water bottle. She initially doesn't want it but once I dribble a few drops onto her tongue she eagerly seeks it out and follows the bottle if I move it away. The downsides are that it is messy and also can lead to aspiration/choking if I dribble the water too quickly. I dribble it as slowly as the bottle will allow and keep a big bowl or towel under to catch any errant water.

She loves it so much we are going to see if she will use a Lixit Top Fill No Drip Plastic Water Bottle for Dogs at PETCO as recommended by Goob14. Not sure she will go for it as she does not actually ask for the bottle but will drink when offered. Not thrilled that it is plastic but I think water from a plastic container is better than no water so we will see how it goes.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Do you think it's normal though for him not to be drinking at all??? I'm pretty sure he hasn't taken a sip from his water bowl in almost 2 weeks. Is there a good way to tell if they're dehydrated?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Buttercup drinks only 1-2 times per day, sometimes not before 7:30 p.m. Her tongue and nose get very dry at times. I change her water after she drinks as she will turn up her nose if there is drool in it. BUT, while on a trip we recently discovered that she will drink from a plastic squeeze water bottle. She initially doesn't want it but once I dribble a few drops onto her tongue she eagerly seeks it out and follows the bottle if I move it away. The downsides are that it is messy and also can lead to aspiration/choking if I dribble the water too quickly. I dribble it as slowly as the bottle will allow and keep a big bowl or towel under to catch any errant water.

She loves it so much we are going to see if she will use a Lixit Top Fill No Drip Plastic Water Bottle for Dogs at PETCO as recommended by Goob14. Not sure she will go for it as she does not actually ask for the bottle but will drink when offered. Not thrilled that it is plastic but I think water from a plastic container is better than no water so we will see how it goes.

Haha Barkley likes to drink from a squeeze bottle too if we're at the park or in the car or something. He hardly ever will drink out of water bowls at the park so I have to make him drink out of a bottle.

Barkley had a Lixit in his crate when we very first got him but it was so messy and dripped all over his crate, so we got a bowl that attaches to crate instead. Hopefully Buttercup has a better experience with it though!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama @cefe13 Do you think it's normal though for him not to be drinking at all??? I'm pretty sure he hasn't taken a sip from his water bowl in almost 2 weeks. Is there a good way to tell if they're dehydrated?

Gums will ill be tacky/ sticky .... Has he been to the vet lately?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Gums will ill be tacky/ sticky .... Has he been to the vet lately?

Hmmm I'll have to check his gums...he actually went to the vet 3 times last week. They think his tail pocket is irritated/itchy and gave him Apoquel and Hydroxyzine to see if it helps. Now come to think of it, he started taking those about the same time he started the new diet so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it too??

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=8518]sunkissedpr1ncs[/MENTION]
As Castor's nose and tongue are not dry, and as he pees when we go out, I haven't really worried about it, as raw food contains more water. Have you tried water bowls in different places, e.g. outdoors? We have an extra bowl of water on our balcony and Castor prefers that one to the one in the kitchen.

How old is Barkley? He looks a bit like Castor!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmm I'll have to check his gums...he actually went to the vet 3 times last week. They think his tail pocket is irritated/itchy and gave him Apoquel and Hydroxyzine to see if it helps. Now come to think of it, he started taking those about the same time he started the new diet so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it too??

if he has been at the vet and they are examininghim, I would HOPE they would notice if he was dehydrated. As another member suggested, place bowls of water in several places so he can get to it if too tired to go to the normal spot. I have a bowl on every floor of the house (2nd floor, 1st floor and basement)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.