Grade 3 Heart Murmur

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I bought a puppy and within the first 10 hours many issues had come up for her. I contacted the breeder immediately to say what all had happened and she told me it was a hair ball ect. So off to the vet I went only to find out she had a heart murmur of 4. I couldn't believe it, she also had two ear infections and upper respiratory infection. I called the breeder because I actually went with her to her vet as her vet gave her a health certificate for my puppy. Basically she thought I was exaggerating it a lot and told me it was no big deal. So I then took her to two other vets who confirmed what my vet said. Now I had already grown very attached to this puppy because I knew the breeder very well, and had basically watched the little puppy go from being born to time of pick up. I had to end up driving to Novi Michigan to a cardiologist who said it would end up being bad. I then contacted the breeder again showing the two new vets and the cardiologist vet and reports from all. After a very long detailed conversation and proof of where I had gone to verifying this that and the other she then said she would take her back and not one word about helping me out with the vet bills which at that point of only owning her not even on full day and everything else I had to pay for. She told me I need to stop going to vet so much. Her husband agreed with her also. So long story short I said NO! She had a lump that I had to have a biopsy and both her legs had to be exrayed due to know longer being able to walk on them (started off with only one leg and then went to both legs). The breeder always thought of the dollar amount of what she would get for a puppy because of the breed and would have turned right around an sold her to someone else. The problems continued so much that when it came to the thousands of dollars I would have had to spend on her health I did what was best for her and called Detroit bulldog rescue to come get her which at this point she was only 5mths old. They came to get her and was very happy that I could show them proof of what all I had done for her and proof of what would be needing to be done to her also. After 17 yrs of knowing someone I was crushed but it wasn't about me, it was about my EBD puppy. I loved her enough to let her go and to go to a place that would help her and all of her needs. It was difficult but knowing someone who loves this breed as much as I do made me feel so much better. Not saying your puppy would have as many issues that mine did but a cardiologist isn't cheap either. I would ask if I can take a new puppy to my vet and ask the breeder to go with you to get a clearance, at least you would know what you might be getting yourself into and making your decision a lot easier, not sure if you live in the same area or close to the breeder, all they can do is say no! I wish you well in what happens.

OP
Alicia Del Rosario

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
I'm so very sorry to hear what happened. I guess that's what I'm exactly afraid of! I have spoken to the breeder and he has offered to decrease her price from 450 to 250 and that after I've taken her to a vet and find I don't want to deal with the possible costs, etc that he would take her back and refund the 250. I personally still feel that's a little much given her diagnosis and plus he lives about 12 hours away one way, so I'd have quite a drive there and back. Still not sure what I will do. [emoji17]

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Im sorry im not too familiar with this condition and can not offer any advice, But an ethical breeder is not going to offer you another puppy for a reduced price. Either way hopefully it can be treated.

OP
Alicia Del Rosario

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414448769.610358.jpghere she is. Sad to look in those little eyes

OP
Alicia Del Rosario

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
He's responded back. 250 and if I get bad news from the vet he will take her back and give me my money back

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
wouldn't you be responsible also for transporting the puppy back which basically would lower the amount as well. How did you find out she had a heart murmur? Did he tell you? So you don't have the puppy or maybe I missed some of the post. Also if you do have her or still have to go get her (12hrs) is a costly drive first off and then if something is wrong and you decide to give her back then you have yet another 12hr drive or the cost of a transporter to get the puppy back. Look up cardiologist vets in your area and simply ask them how much they charge and get the details about it and tell the breeder what was discussed and the travel amounts and how it is adding up and you feel that is still to much. Plus the initial visit for puppy check to begin with also added to that to find out about heart murmur and puppies health since you go get it. I had to drive almost two hours away for cardiologist visit. I wish you well in your decision. 250.00 isn't much at all.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
He's responded back. 250 and if I get bad news from the vet he will take her back and give me my money back

OOPS, sorry, i totally missed that. Hmm...I would've thought he would have given her to you and be very thankful that you're willing to care for her. I know this must be a hard decision for you.

OP
Alicia Del Rosario

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
No I don't have her. I wasn't even looking for a puppy. He contacted me yesterday and said they had found the murmur at a puppy visit. I bought my current EB from this breeder about 10 months ago so he said he thought of me immediately for this girl.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
The amount that he is asking for is obviously the down payment correct? And he is going to write it in a contract that he will refund all money for her if need be due to the heart murmur? And whatever he writes in contracts if he writes them. IMO, I believe since he contacted you out of the clear blue and told you of the heart murmur, then I would tell him of the cost and distance and the vet checks and the what if she has to go back and the amount of that cost as well. And ask that he take that into consideration if things don't turn out good, I mean she would still have to be returned. He sounds like he just wants to make money no matter what but he did tell you about her health issue. I would still ask him because he will either say yes or he will say no. I would leave it at that if he says no but I also am not the one who he is speaking to in regards to that adorable little thing :) Those little eyes sure are pretty and screaming please come get me lol.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
This Baby is Adorabull. I Hope and Pray that You will get her,you would be the Perfect Mommie for her. I have 8 4 legged babies, if I could I would adopt her in a second.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thank you for caring for this little girl. At some point, you will be rewarded. Many prayer and positive thought to you.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my gosh, that sweet little face.... How can you resist? As far as her current diagnosis goes, she is still very young and could potentially improve. It is really a gamble though, a grade 3 is very borderline as to whether or not it will get better. A grade one or two is most likely an innocent murmur, and will go away. A grade 4 or 5 will likely not go away. So a grade three could go either way. If you do decide to get her, you really want to find out if the grade is true.

An echocardiogram should not be done until she's older, I think around 5 months.

I would try to think of it this way, so you can have a realistic outlook. Many times surgery is not an option, and possible medications daily may be needed. If surgery is an option, you have to make that difficult choice as well because they are high risk surgeries. She may only be given a life expectancy of a couple years, but you can give her the best life she can possibly have. :hug:

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Hi There! What town is the breeder located? You might check Lone Star Bulldog Rescue if the breeder is located close enough to Fort Worth/Dallas area. I am from East Texas - Longview. I know this is a tough decision for you. Let go and let God take care of it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.