Kicking after doing business on a walk

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I've read a little bit online about why dogs kick behind after doing their business. There is something about marking territory, etc. What is the consensus here about this behavior? Should I do anything about this to make him stop, or is it okay? It's a recent behavior and only done while on a walk. Thanks for your help!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I think it's hilarious, lola does is only every so often. They are happy they just pooped! Zoom zoom zoom. ,;)

sent from my droid mini

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've been on the receiving end of one of those kicks before! Ewww !

I've heard they do it to spread their scent, also heard to cover up their scent. Not sure which is right! But I think [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] has it right, they are happy! :D

I'm not sure if it needs correction, I'll be curious what everyone else says.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ulrich, I've heard the same as Lisa. They are either marking their scent for other dogs or animals, or they are covering up their scent. I think they are marking it. Both my guys do the chicken scratch dance after they've pooped. They don't this after they pee

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Harvey consistently kicks back after he does his business and occassionally after he pees.
It is kinda funny that after he kicks his legs he turns his head to see what he just did and he has this "that is disgusting" look on his face and slowly moves away as if to say, let me get out of here.

Whether it is marking a territory, leaving a scent mark, I believe it is instinct. My puppy have been doing this since I picked him from the breeder @ 10 weeks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Spreading their scent to ensure other dogs know it is his/hers

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley does this everytime he does his business and pees and on a walk...and that could be 15 times with ten kickbacks after each one...It only bothers me after he's just had a bath and he fills his paws with dirt and mud.
The ultimate insult is when he does it as I'm bending down to pick up his business...he's like "yeah that's right.. pick up my poop as I kick dirt on you too!"

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
In agreement with the others, spreading their scent. My baby does it as well. It's too funny! [emoji2] [emoji90] [emoji6]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm not sure why they do it, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Our male EB does this evey time after he poops. Then he runs away. Kind of funny[emoji39]. He will do this every once in a while after peeing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
My Sumo does it, I watch him closely though because he tends to slide his foot right through it. Switching his food at the moment so its not pleasant.
I think its so cute though, cleaning up poo off him..... not so much.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We had a rescue once, Lo-Jack, that could wing a turd 30 feet. Like he was a horse, I learned to stay in front of him, or to the side.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Rescue Katie does it. First time she did it, "we" all got it! Now myself and the dogs stay clear-bet it goes 10 ft!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.