Bad tooth

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
When we got Murray, our rescue bulldog, he was a year and a half and had a bad eye tooth. It had degraded over the past 6 months, but it doesn't seem to bother him. Our vet quoted us a range of $600-800 to take it out, but we thought that was high. Since it doesn't seem to bother him at all, we've let it slide. Is there any reason we should take care of this sooner rather than wait until it bothers him more? What are your thoughts on that price range? Thanks!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had a cracked tooth, the one molar so commonly cracked it's called a slab fracture. She had it extracted. Normally owners don't realize a dogs tooth is decayed or cracked until the bacterial infection gets to bad that a cyst of sorts forms in the dogs face, commonly around the eye. Then not only do you have to extract a tooth that is severely decayed, but also treat an infection that is painful for the dog. Think about your own tooth aches. Dogs are known to hide pain very well. The only way I knew Lola's tooth had been cracked ( I swear I heard it) I am just always in her mouth rooting around and checking things out. We had to wait two weeks to get it out, and in that time she got an infection, pocket of pus above her tooth. And needed antibiotics afterwards. We paid about 1500 for the tooth, but we had pet insurance. That was nothing compared to the palate surgery the same time, but again insurance helped.

sent from my droid mini

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ulrich, I totally agree with aprilemari, you should have the tooth looked at by the vet, if the tooth is decayed, that can lead to an infection, and then to an access, which can cause an infection throughout his body. She is also right that dogs don't show their pain, so he could have pain, and he might have pain when he eats, or chews on toys. I don't know if the quote you got is the normal price or not, as I don't have any experience with this type of treatment. Our prices are higher here in Canada than you pay in the States as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That seems about right for a tooth extraction, I paid for one that my sisters Pug (much smaller)needed removed and it was $300. Bad teeth should be addressed, as Monica stated... Infection gets into the blood stream and can cause more issues

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.