First Heat. Heavy Bleeding. I am very worried. Help?

Blondvixen137

Oct 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hello.

I am a new English Bulldog owner and am a newbie at this. I really need some advice and help short of another trip into the vet.

I have a 10 month old English Bulldog. She weighs 34 lbs. She started her first heat on October 13. We had about 1 week of "show" a slightly coloured discharge.

On Mon Oct 20 she started to bleed--small droplets of blood. Not a big issue.

Last night and today, she is bleeding extremely heavy. It is flowing at a pretty good rate. Not just droplets. We are using a pull up with a maxi pad tucked inside for extra absorption. We dont leave her in the pull up all day as she is stubborn and will not move, eat, go outside etc when it's on so we use old towels and put them under her to give her some freedom. We follow and clean up any that does drip out.

We find she has a heavier flow at night.

I am reading so many things about how long this heavy bleeding will last. 1 week. 3 weeks. What is true? Does it vary? She is only 34 lbs.

Is there anything more I can do for her? She doesn't do much. I just feel terrible. I hate seeing her like this.

Our plan is to spay her approximately 12 weeks after her heat ends.

Any help or advice anyone can offer would be truly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your kind words of wisdom.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged some members with experience that can give some insight and guidance....

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello
@Blondvixen137 I had one dog, a Doberman who would have an extremely bloody heat. We had to put pants/pad on her. The heavy bleeding would start into the second week and last until towards the end of the third. I considered it heavy, as it would leave a mess and be dripping. It is hard to tell by not seeing your girlbut that may be normal for her.She is at about the time of heaviest flow, now. You could take a photo and post it so we can tell. Some dogs bleed almost as if they were a woman, and some don't show much. I am guessing that she is just a "heavy". There should be no clots, though.

OP
Blondvixen137

Blondvixen137

Oct 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
There are no clots. She filled a sanitary napkin for heavy flow in about 4 hours. It does drip steadily. So the heavy bleed may continue for another week? I am sorry for the questions. Just very worried this isn't normal. Maybe she is a heavy bleeder. It is definitely leaving a mess as she drips. I will most definitely be getting her spayed. If I can figure out how to post photos from my phone I will.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some times they do have a heavy cycle and can bleed a lot. I would say in a few days it should start to taper off. If it gets worse, then you may call your vet, but it shouldn't.

OP
Blondvixen137

Blondvixen137

Oct 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I called vets today. They told me she should "bleed" for 9-16 days. It maybe heavy. Which it is. Today is only day 6 of "bleeding" and day 4 of it being heavy. So I may have a bit to go. They told me if she remains heavy as we approach 14 days to bring her into the vet which is Mon Nov 3. They said it should taper off by then. She is still eating and drinking but only when we take the pull up off. Otherwise she doesn't move. She hates it and won't walk. We pick her up and make her walk with it on to show her she can. She is extremely stubborn. So we let her roam free for an hour or so every three hours. We clean up after her as much as we can. So worried about her. But so long as she does her normal thing I guess I should not worry to much. That is the hard part. Seeing her bleed is not easy. Just have to tough it out. Words of advice. If you don't plan to breed spay your dog! I just got her and the appt for spay was booked two days after she started her cycle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online