Need help! Just found a tick. Its in her skin!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Natural Tick Repellent
I cannot tell you how excited I am to discover this ridiculously easy, natural tick repellent that really works!

But before I spill the secret, let me give you some background information:

We just moved to a property deep in the woods of Pennsylvania.

My dog and I were diagnosed at the same time with Lymeā€™s Disease 2 summers ago

We caught it early, got treated and now weā€™re all better.

I hike and/or creek swim in the woods with my dog 5 to 6 days a week, March through October.

Where I currently live has the greatest number of confirmed Lymeā€™s Disease cases in the whole country.

I hate chemicals.

Before I discovered this natural tick repellent, weā€™ve been pulling a minimum of 3 to 4 ticks off my dog each day and usually one to two on me.

I hate ticks.

My husband told me we had to figure something out with all these ticks or else he wanted to put Frontline on my dog.

I hate Frontline.

Itā€™s full of dangerous chemicals and not good for dogs (or for people that love to hug and cuddle their pets).

Okay, got all that?

So then a few weeks ago, my essential oil guru, Meagan from Growing Up Herbal, wrote a guest post on Primally Inspired teaching us how to make super easy homemade bug repellent oils. I tried her easy recipe since bugs are terrible where I live this time of year. Her homemade oil recipe worked like a charm! Truth be told, it even surprised me how well it worked.

In the post, she also mentioned that Rose Geranium Essential Oil was a good tick repellent for animals. So I bought some Rose Geranium oil, hoping and praying it would work or else I would have to go the Frontline route.

I put a drop of Rose Geranium Oil in between my dogs shoulder blades and a drop at the base of his tail each day before we go outside. Thatā€™s it.

I also put a drop on the insides of my wrist and a drop behind my ears.

We did our daily hike and creek swim in the woods. We came back. No ticks.

What, no ticks?! I thought this is too good to be true.

To this day (itā€™s been going on 4 weeks now *update 3/22/14 ā€“ itā€™s been going on over 8 months now and no ticks!!!!!!!), I have not pulled one single tick off my dog or me. We went from pulling 3 to 4 ticks a day off him to NONE. Zip. Zero. Nada.

This is huge!

I have no idea why Rose Geranium oil works so well, but honestly, I donā€™t even care. Okay, scratch that ā€“ Iā€™m a nerd and I am kind of curious to learn why it works so well, so if you know, please enlighten me.

Iā€™m just so happy that I donā€™t have to put Frontline on my dog and that I found something completely natural that costs way less than Frontline AND that really works for both me and my dog! (and it smells really, really good!)
LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Where do you get the Rose Geranium? At a health food store? Thank You. Does it work for fleas also?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
oh no. Ticks are the worst. if it's burrowed deep, i would take her to the vet to have them remove it, just to be safe. You don't want the head to get stuck in there.
I think there are some options like using heat to get them out. I usually just find the head of them and tweeze them out and clean the spot really well. Poor Daisy! I hope you get it out.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've mastered getting them off with tweezers. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get a good grip without squeezing the tick, and Daisy will sit still. It usually takes two of us, me and my husband to get the tick out.
Otherwise, just go to a vet and have them do it. It won't be expensive as usually a vet tech does it, not the actual vet.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I've mastered getting them off with tweezers. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get a good grip without squeezing the tick, and Daisy will sit still. It usually takes two of us, me and my husband to get the tick out.
Otherwise, just go to a vet and have them do it. It won't be expensive as usually a vet tech does it, not the actual vet.

Me too i just use tweezers and pull really fast when i get a good grip. Then clean and disenfect the affected area. Vinegar is a good natural Tick repellent.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
If you can't get the whole body out w/tweezers, I agree w/the gangā€¦ take her to the vets!!! Good luck...

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
If it was me I would be marching of to the vet to get the bloody thing out and be safe.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well, you pull it out! We have one of those tick lasso things. It's easy to use and removes the whole animal. A pair of tweezers will do the trick too, but make sure you manage to get a good grip of the whole little beast so that the head doesn't remain (if it does, you will need to keep a close look as there's an increased risk of infection).

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've become very good at removing them with a match and it makes them move!! LOL!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online