New Puppy?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I have been going back and forth about getting a new pup. Raven is such a loveable, easy going doll baby. I am excited about the prospect, I mean who in their right mind wouldn't be, but bully personalites can be so different I am a bit scared. Any advice? I recently posted thinking about getting a pup and possibly a frenchie, but hubbs says he really loves the breed and would prefer we get another bully if we are adding to our mix. Am I crazy for wanting another? Crazy for being worried about their many and varied personality quirks?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I always say, you need more than one. If you are wanting to get another, then I would suggest getting the opposite sex. Male female usually will get along better then two of the same sex.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
no t crazy at all... agree with David, if you have a female get a male. I have a female Bulldog and a male Frenchie..... they get a long great, when Banks wants them too :)

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have my eye on a little male. Definitely hoping to avoid any issues. Raven is a laid back girl so that will go a long way as well. I just had a bit of a mental hiccup after reading someone's post about challenges with his pup. Raven has been pretty good and such a blessing that I am scared that I may get the direct opposite. Bullies are such unique and crazy little furry people.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with David, and agree that everyone needs more than one bully. Lol. I do have two EB's, one female and one male, they are siblings and litter mates so have been together since birth, so I don't have any experience with adding a second dog or other breed of puppy after having just one. I have heard that two dogs of the opposite sex usually get along better than two same sex dogs. Two males can show dominance to each other, and two females can show jealousy toward each other. I don't know if this is always true, again every dog is different in temperment and personality. I also know there are members on here who have two males or two females with no issues. When adding a new puppy or dog, it's always recommended that the two dogs meet on neutral territory first.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I didn't hesitate and have a male and female. They are best buds and get along very well. However, there is the occassional spat over a toy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone… get one of each sex, it seems to work out. I have also dog sat a frenchie, and they are an absolute HOOT!!! Puppies are going to be puppies, but it seems that over time everyone adjusts to the changes...

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
We have two EBs. One male, Utley and one female, Bella. We got Bella when Utley was 2. We were nervous because Utley had been any only dog for two years. And he is way spoiled. They get along great. They love to play and sometimes they have their moments but they are best buddies. And now they are both spoiled. I read somewhere EBs are like potato chips. You can't have just one[emoji4][emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So far things are going great. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way when he is grown. Honestly if I can manage it maybe another few years down the line I may add another.....it is a disease I tell ya.

Most Reactions