Allergies???

LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
I'm hoping someone could help me with this... Lola is starting to get these little hairless patches on her, some are kind of scaly and there is a quite large hairless spot on her back. It doesn't look like it is weeping like a hot spot, but I am wondering if this could be allergies?? She is also pretty itchy on the sides of her body. I gave her a benadryl today, she is currently on Prednisone, and there aren't really any diet changes, she is on Fromm Lamb and lentil. Any thoughts??

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Well, the whole point of prednisone is to stop the itching. If it's not working, it could be because the dosage is too low, or it's something else like mange.
What you're describing sounds like a secondary bacterial infection due to allergies. Blue had it and the antibioitc Simplicef got rid of it. His fur grew back in a few weeks.

Either way, you need to speak with her vet about the prednisone not working. A dog should never itch while on it since the purpose of pred. is to get the allergies under control.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it's hard to say without seeing the patch. Can you post a picture of it, so we can see it and maybe be able to identify what it is. It can be anything from allergies, to a hot spot, Alopecia, or mange. Did the Benadryl help at all? Does Lola lick or bite at the site, maybe making it worse?

OP
LolaLover

LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
Lola is taking the Prednisone for another autoimmune disease, not allergies, sorry I didn't specify that! But I thought in either case that if it was allergies then the Pred usually helps. Ill try posting a picture.

OP
LolaLover

LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

OP
LolaLover

LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
photo-3.JPG

There are several of these hairless patches/spots on her body. This is the only one though that looks scabby kind of. Do you think it could be Staph??

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
View attachment 79199

There are several of these hairless patches/spots on her body. This is the only one though that looks scabby kind of. Do you think it could be Staph??

I honestly don't know.
I take back what I said earlier, as it does not look at all like what Blue had.
But the prednisone should still stop the itch, regardless of why she's taking it.

Yeah, speak to your vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The pictures are hard to see, but have the vet do a scrape to rule out mange... cause you want to catch that early if it is it.

Also, just a thought, when I had Banks on the Lamb and Lentil her face broke out in red patches. I placed her back on Pork and Peas and she was fine

OP
LolaLover

LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
Took her to the vet today and he said that she has a bacterial infection, so he gave me some antibiotics to give her. :( But hopefully she will be on the mend soon! Thanks everyone for you opinions!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Took her to the vet today and he said that she has a bacterial infection, so he gave me some antibiotics to give her. :( But hopefully she will be on the mend soon! Thanks everyone for you opinions!!
That is good the hear. I hope the infection is gone soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.