Ear wash help

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Hello ,

My girl had an ear infection before , at that time she would let me put the medicine ear wash in her ear . Recently , she began to shake her head a lot and scratch the left ear. I took a look inside sure enough dirty ear. The strange part she lets me clean her ear with a wash cloth and I was able to clean her ear and get gunk out .

Now, when she sees the ear wash bottle in my hand she runs and hides. When I get her she growls , bites and snaps at me.

Is there any options how to hold her down and avoid getting bitten by her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

julescoffman

Sep 26, 2014
florence sc
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasmine and Ruger
Mine gets ear infections alot,due to allergies,she will eventually get used to it,what we did is I held her on her side rubbing her belly and had a treat in other hand letting her nibble it while my husband flushed and cleaned her ears. She finally got used to it and just lays there,not happily,but knows its happening whether she likes it or not.
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mine gets ear infections alot,due to allergies,she will eventually get used to it,what we did is I held her on her side rubbing her belly and had a treat in other hand letting her nibble it while my husband flushed and cleaned her ears. She finally got used to it and just lays there,not happily,but knows its happening whether she likes it or not.
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

I hope this works for me. I am alone , hope doing this belly rub and treat in hand works. Thank you

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus gets ear infections all the time due to allergies. He is a horror to try and put the drops and wash in his ears. It takes two of us on with a handful of greenbeans and the other to do drops. Ugh, I am lucky to make it out with all my fingers. He used to be ok, but I think he associates this with the pain of his infections. Good luck, I know I need it everytime.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hope this works for me. I am alone , hope doing this belly rub and treat in hand works. Thank you

this is what I have to do with my Frenhie... belly rubs, green beans or kibble inear by and ready for the giving

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
this is what I have to do with my Frenhie... belly rubs, green beans or kibble inear by and ready for the giving

Thank you for the help going to have to do this. I hope she's cooperative lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the help going to have to do this. I hope she's cooperative lol

Approach very positive with treats... let he smell and see them.... but MOST of all you have to be relaxed and calm. Do not be scared or nervous - she will react to the fear in you

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Approach very positive with treats... let he smell and see them.... but MOST of all you have to be relaxed and calm. Do not be scared or nervous - she will react to the fear in you

Going to attempt this approach. Thank you :)

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
It's very hard to do alone, especially with a resistant dog.. Chumley handles it well but once the wash goes in the ear the head shaking starts before I can plug it with a cotton all and swish it around..Hershey is almost impossible even with two people. He hates it! I'm going to try the treat trick nearby!

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
My husband travels a lot for work so I do the ear washing alone a good bit. Rubbing the belly and treats work to get George still and I actually sit with my legs crossed around George with him facing me. I hold treats with one hand, clean ears with the other and hold him still with my legs. With a lot of maneuvering and luck, I get it done haha. Looks funny, but it works and gets the job done! Good luck!!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I started stuffin gmy fingers down my girls ears when t hey were pups just in case they did have ear problems. I have been fortunate, neither one of mine have prblems but they like me to scratch the inside of their ears and look at it as a positive thing. I tell everyone, start early so you can break them in on ear washing. Amber nut job zone is her feet, she comes absolutely unglued over getting her nails trimmed. I mean a straight up psycho dog. Good luck.

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
One thing I have tried is soaking a cotton ball with the ear cleaner. I am then able to clean the ears with the cotton ball. We have two EBs and both run if they see the bottle of ear cleaner. This might help to at least get her use to having her ears cleaned. It dosen't work as well as putting the ear cleaner directly in the ear but it is a start. Good Luck[emoji106].

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's very hard to do alone, especially with a resistant dog.. Chumley handles it well but once the wash goes in the ear the head shaking starts before I can plug it with a cotton all and swish it around..Hershey is almost impossible even with two people. He hates it! I'm going to try the treat trick nearby!

I am going to attempt the treat trick . She see's the bootle runs away. We love our babies even in challenging times:)

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My husband travels a lot for work so I do the ear washing alone a good bit. Rubbing the belly and treats work to get George still and I actually sit with my legs crossed around George with him facing me. I hold treats with one hand, clean ears with the other and hold him still with my legs. With a lot of maneuvering and luck, I get it done haha. Looks funny, but it works and gets the job done! Good luck!!!

I use my finger to clean deep. She lets me know if it 's uncomfortable and sweet talk her with honey, it's ok .

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I started stuffin gmy fingers down my girls ears when t hey were pups just in case they did have ear problems. I have been fortunate, neither one of mine have prblems but they like me to scratch the inside of their ears and look at it as a positive thing. I tell everyone, start early so you can break them in on ear washing. Amber nut job zone is her feet, she comes absolutely unglued over getting her nails trimmed. I mean a straight up psycho dog. Good luck.

Odd , Porkchop lets me stick my finger . I noticed it's becoming everyday thing. Her ears are filled w wax. My girl is a rescue got her at age 4 1/2. She just turned 5 in July. It will be one year in Dec when I adopted her.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online