How old is too old to spay/neuter?

Danielle J

Jan 8, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Presley
Tomorrow we are going to look at a 5yr old EB named Niko. I've really been wanting another one and have been looking around for awhile. I didnt want a puppy. Niko is supposibly good with other dogs and young kids (they have 4 young kids and one on the way which is their reason for getting rid of him--I know, dont get me started) anywho...Niko is INTACT :down: If he comes home with us I would want to get him neutered. But how old is too old? Another thing is his soon to be former owners say he has had cherry eye surgery on his left eye but his cherry eye hasnt gone away. I read a former post on this and have researched it a little and I am guessing the next step, depending on how bad it is, would either be just letting it be or removing the gland. Presley doesnt have this problem so this is my first. Any advice? Also...and sorry this is so long...they of course not just giving him away, they are selling him and asking $500 obo...your thoughts on what to offer? Thanks again in advance.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Good luck. Wish I had some advice for you but don't. You will get some though and I am looking forward to seeing what they say. Hope the visit goes well with the 5 year old. Don't blame you on the puppy thing...we were lucky with lola (great puppy except for biting & chewing up things..okay it's coming back to me) and brodie for the most part has been great but I will probably adopt next if I find one close by (that is way down the road). Lola also has cherry eye, still. We have elected no surgery for now but because she had some issues under anesthesia when she was being spayed. thank goodness all was okay but not wanting to take that chance unless we have to. Good luck!!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hmmm I wonder why when they elected for the eye surgery they didn't have the gland removed then... I'd ask for all the vet records. I am no expert but I don't think there is an age limit on neutering.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
You can absolutely still have him neutered, as long as he is healthy and able to tolerate the surgery. We just had a 9 yo foster dog at my work get neutered. the upside here is that healing is much quicker for boys and the surgery is easier too. I personally would give him a little time to get settled in and meet your other dog so they aren't romping around or being territorial right after surgery. Like I said that is just my opinion though. As far as the money is concerned that seems like a reasonable fee, it's around what most rescues charge but all of their dogs are utd on vaccines and have had proper vet care ect.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
I second what dozermama said about what rescues charge. Maybe off a little less to off set some of the vet bill's your sure to have.. Good luck I hope it all works out...

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Yes, I would want to see all his vet records, so you know exactly when he had his last shots and everything. I don't think there is a limit as far as the neutering goes. I may be way off on this, but I thought that once a cherry eye was surgically repaired the cherry eye is gone and can't come back. Is that not the case? (I've never dealt with a cherry eye). As for the $500., if you have to get his eye fixed and get him neutered, I think I'd offer somewhat less. Hope it all goes well and you'll soon be a two Bully home!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Norman was neutered at the ripe old age of 5. He is just fine!!!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Yes, I would want to see all his vet records, so you know exactly when he had his last shots and everything. I don't think there is a limit as far as the neutering goes. I may be way off on this, but I thought that once a cherry eye was surgically repaired the cherry eye is gone and can't come back. Is that not the case? (I've never dealt with a cherry eye). As for the $500., if you have to get his eye fixed and get him neutered, I think I'd offer somewhat less. Hope it all goes well and you'll soon be a two Bully home!

No, that is not true....when they repair the cherry eye, they either remove the gland or tack the gland back into place. If the gland is removed, the cherry eye is gone forever. If it was tacked back in place, it can come lose and have to be done again. I have always had the vet tack the gland back into place and I have nevr ever had to have one redone...knock on wood!

Last edited:

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Oliver, and Truman
In regards to the cherry eye - I wouldn't have the gland removed. From what my vet said, this gland accounts for 60% of their tear production. If it is removed, sometime in the future, they are highly likely to have dry eye or even go blind. They alternative is to tack the gland down. My Winston has had this done on both eyes and hasn't had problems since.

IMG_0688 copy.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
OBO means they are EXPECTING less than $500 to me..... unless they think there will be a bidding war for him so try offering less and see how they react. 500 seems reasonable tho.

OP
Danielle J

Danielle J

Jan 8, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Presley
Given he is a little older, possible need for tacking of the cherry eye and will need to be neutered...I offered him $250 and an exceptional home. I pick him up tomorrow.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.