have any more pets?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We have 3 dogs and a cat. All are friends. Our cat is the oldest - 14 yrs. then our frenchton - 5 yrs, bugg - 4 yrs and curly - 1 yr. curly is under a year in this pic

df3adb2b73f83a01aa6e71d3936c67a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
We have 2 cats and 2 bullies. Our one cat thinks she's a dog and is always hanging out with brutus and ruthie. it was a big struggle at first because brutus wasn't used to cats and tried to eat her. I broke him of that and now we can't keep them away from each other. The cat sleeps with them, when i call them to go out potty, kitten thinks she has to go out too. it's so funny.
Our other cat Stinker doesn't bother with the dogs at all. She's not very friendly with anyone except me. She keeps to herself and hisses at the dogs, kitten and anyone else if they get to close.
It takes a long time for cats to trust and to be in the same environment with dogs. Give it time. the cats are scared. your one cat could also be playing. I know kitten sometimes swipes at Ruthie to get her to play.

How did you get Brutus to stop seeing cats as food? We are thinking of adopting a rescue cat but Buttercup has cornered two cats already and seems to have a strong prey drive.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
We have Canelo, then our pugs Chug and Lola and our newest addition Buddy the Mexican Redhead. The last picture is 20 mins after Buddy arrived and Canelo realized someone new was in the house, lol.
dc64f2c2b4c3ca99a21a230f7dd8f39e.jpg
7490214b7879c63771203f661bb12abb.jpg
10fcdb75ef3488a757501eb5630a76f1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
How did you get Brutus to stop seeing cats as food? We are thinking of adopting a rescue cat but Buttercup has cornered two cats already and seems to have a strong prey drive.

We had him on a leash in the house for a long time. When the cats would come around we would keep telling him no. I would also hold the cats and let him come over and smell them. We would also let the cats bat at him if he got to close, I wouldn't stop them from protecting themselves. Brutus also has a strong prey drive and will go after cats he doesn't know, but we are at the point where we tell him no a few times and change his focus and he leaves them alone. I carry his balls with us everywhere we go because Brutus gets very focused on something and won't let it go and I can distract him and refocus his energy on his ball. Works every time, he's very simple. Try to redirect buttercup to something she loves, other than the cat.
I also posted in your other thread!!

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
We had him on a leash in the house for a long time. When the cats would come around we would keep telling him no. I would also hold the cats and let him come over and smell them. We would also let the cats bat at him if he got to close, I wouldn't stop them from protecting themselves. Brutus also has a strong prey drive and will go after cats he doesn't know, but we are at the point where we tell him no a few times and change his focus and he leaves them alone. I carry his balls with us everywhere we go because Brutus gets very focused on something and won't let it go and I can distract him and refocus his energy on his ball. Works every time, he's very simple. Try to redirect buttercup to something she loves, other than the cat.
I also posted in your other thread!!

Thank you so much! This sounds very labor intensive but doable. I have noticed that I can distract Buttercup's focus just long enough to grab the handle on her harness, as I did this morning when she saw a fawn during her potty break in our yard. Once I redirected her she was happy to run after me back to the house rather than chase the deer.

But we don't have a toy she loves yet...she just loves her kibble, peanut butter, and coconut oil. Maybe it's time to find a toy we can carry everywhere! The toys her old owner sent with her don't interest her much unless she is really in the mood to play.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Thank you so much! This sounds very labor intensive but doable. I have noticed that I can distract Buttercup's focus just long enough to grab the handle on her harness, as I did this morning when she saw a fawn during her potty break in our yard. Once I redirected her she was happy to run after me back to the house rather than chase the deer.

But we don't have a toy she loves yet...she just loves her kibble, peanut butter, and coconut oil. Maybe it's time to find a toy we can carry everywhere! The toys her old owner sent with her don't interest her much unless she is really in the mood to play.

It's very labor intensive LOL. Good Luck! Maybe start carrying some treats around with you! Here is Brutus, Ruthie and their kitty just from the other day!

d9a50cda38768d1e2930beb56dcf26ad.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.