Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Oh boy… poor Hershey!!! First of all you are a saint to put up w/that MANY 2 to 3 year olds. Marcus about drives me nuts, and that's only 1 kid… Lol I'm seriously anal w/kids around my dogs, in fact when Marcus had his b-day party here I locked up my dogs… I don't trust the kids around them. I would make sure that when the dogs nap the kids aren't allowed to be near them, that will keep Hershey safe :unsure: My son went thru a biting faze, and I nipped that in the bud quick… the next time he bit the neighbor girl I flicked him on the lip. He associated biting someone w/pain, and he didn't EVER pull that again.

Oh I'm not the saint..I made it a point in the past to either not be home or hide downstairs when these little monsters are around. My wife is the saint! That's always worked out okay when it was only chum....now I have to rearrange my schedule so she can watch the kids and I can stay on top of the skin vs. fur kid interactions.

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Lol Jim, no you can't bite little kids, or cover them in peanut butter and feed them to the dog. I think there's laws against this. Lol. It would be hard for 2 and 3 year olds to totally grasp the idea of being nice to animals, they are just learning at this age, if they were 4 or 5 and older, they are easier to talk to and you can reason with them more. Are the dogs and the daycare kids in the same area during the day?, maybe if the kids are upstairs, the dogs could have free reign of the basement, or if the kids are in the basement playing, then the dogs could be upstairs until they go home?
Pn
Only in the early morning when the dogs are getting up and the kids are arriving are they really together. For the most part after that the dogs sleep in another room or are outside...once the weather gets colder I'm going to have to make sure they're separated downstairs...It's a shame because the dogs don't deserve to be put in the basement...they're not the cause of the problem but will surely get the blame if something happens.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Some kids are cruel to animals my granddaughter 4 yr old is she watches her brats of brothers and copies them luckily they never come to my house (no relation to me) and Ftse will not go in the lounge room if she is there so I presume she has done something to him because all other children he loves. You feel like biting the kid back but that will just open a whole can of worms. That's why I got out of childcare I aged and lost my patience dealing with some kids that are just brats. Ftse is much better behaved than the kids like I am sure Chumley and Hershey are too.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I think most dogs could be trusted around kids... the dogs are normally not the problem. I don't trust kids around my dogs, and unfortunately the dogs are the ones expected to be locked up when kids comes here, how is that fair? We once asked to bring our one of our bulldogs to a friends house and they said NO, so maybe I can say no to them bringing their kids here... I'm not liking kids much so maybe I'm unfair but I think it's not to much to ask that the kids coming into YOUR home behaves around you and your dogs...

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Oh boy… poor Hershey!!! First of all you are a saint to put up w/that MANY 2 to 3 year olds. Marcus about drives me nuts, and that's only 1 kid… Lol I'm seriously anal w/kids around my dogs, in fact when Marcus had his b-day party here I locked up my dogs… I don't trust the kids around them. I would make sure that when the dogs nap the kids aren't allowed to be near them, that will keep Hershey safe :unsure: My son went thru a biting faze, and I nipped that in the bud quick… the next time he bit the neighbor girl I flicked him on the lip. He associated biting someone w/pain, and he didn't EVER pull that again.

Hahaha Flicked him on the lip.... I would of loved to had seen that..

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I'm not the saint..I made it a point in the past to either not be home or hide downstairs when these little monsters are around. My wife is the saint! That's always worked out okay when it was only chum....now I have to rearrange my schedule so she can watch the kids and I can stay on top of the skin vs. fur kid interactions.

Well I agree your wife is the saint… Lol Plus you have NO idea what they are allowed to do at their home w/their own dogs… we have run into that issue here. I will put Marcus in time-out immediately if I see him doing something w/the dogs that he KNOWS Mimi doesn't allow. I have NO idea what the heck goes on at his house, and they have a german shepherd that has bitten 2 people so far :facepalm2: SO help me...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
well off to bed..I have a kid to bite tomorrow..should I give him a gentle one or a real lesson learner?

A lessoned learned one! but be sure not to leave any marks! ;)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I really feel for you Jim because you are in a tough spot. I would try to keep the dogs and brats, I mean kids, separate. It isn't fair to the dogs and the kids are really too young to understand fully how to behave. I can say that if it was me and my dogs and god forbid one of them bit a kid who was not being nice to my dog, I would be divorced and living alone with them before I got rid of either one of them. how long are the kids at the house? Maybe you can just let them chill in the bedroom or something while they are there.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Chumley...

Awwww Jim, what very lucky boys these two are to have you as their Daddy.
It touches my heart all over again that you took Hershey in, what gratitude
Rick & Dottie must feel for you (and such love too). My Stuart was like you
(and I miss him being my champion), fiercely loyal & protective and fair.
Wish we had more men like YOU in this world today, such a different place,
a better place...GOD bless you, dear Jim and I'll keep all y'all in prayers of
protection (and that the biter stops!).

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Something is wrong with the parents of that child that bites. If a child of mine had ever bitten another child OR dog-it wouldn't have happened a second time.

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Re: "Oh My God He Just Bit Her!"

I really feel for you Jim because you are in a tough spot. I would try to keep the dogs and brats, I mean kids, separate. It isn't fair to the dogs and the kids are really too young to understand fully how to behave. I can say that if it was me and my dogs and god forbid one of them bit a kid who was not being nice to my dog, I would be divorced and living alone with them before I got rid of either one of them. how long are the kids at the house? Maybe you can just let them chill in the bedroom or something while they are there.
There are kids here from 7 am-6pm. I've told my wife she's nuts. Watch kids from 8-4 or 5 the latest...The biter shows up at 7 am for crying out loud!
Oh yeah I'm preparing for a blowout because god forbid it happens again I'm siding with my dog! I'll do nothing possible to prevent it but if it somehow does...I know who instigated it!

- - - Updated - - -

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Something is wrong with the parents of that child that bites. If a child of mine had ever bitten another child OR dog-it wouldn't have happened a second time.
They seem like nice people..They're upset about it too..but you're right..my kids never bit but if they did I'd stop it damn quick!

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
@Chumley...

Awwww Jim, what very lucky boys these two are to have you as their Daddy.
It touches my heart all over again that you took Hershey in, what gratitude
Rick & Dottie must feel for you (and such love too). My Stuart was like you
(and I miss him being my champion), fiercely loyal & protective and fair.
Wish we had more men like YOU in this world today, such a different place,
a better place...GOD bless you, dear Jim and I'll keep all y'all in prayers of
protection (and that the biter stops!).

Carol , posts from you always make me feel better! Tell my wife how much the world needs me lol!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] Jim-here is a warning sign for you to post: sign.jpgThat should cover it.

Most Reactions